fbctatumstuff

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday night usually reminds me of the Christmas carol where all is calm and all is bright.  A fresh week awaits the morning.  All of the effort to prepare for today is put aside.  Maybe it is also like the eye of a hurricane where there is calm even though new storms are sure to follow.  You know that is probably my most favorite night of the week.  There is time to catch my breath.  Calendars or schedules are mapped out with events.  There are always going to be those unexpected happenings that come up for me much less anyone else.  At least there is an illusion of control as we get underway.

One thing that will help this week is a return to Friday night football.  Far too much seemed out of the ordinary with our trip down south on Thursday evening.  Not even winning the game helped much to regain a sense of normal.  More than a few people today told me that they needed to remind themselves that the day after our contest was not Saturday.  My guess is that not much educating went on in our school hallways this past Friday.  We all arrived home far too late to be much good the next day.  It is good to have your comfort zone challenged from time to time.  It is better to return to normal.

I spent my free night on Friday taking apart my son's room.  It was to the unbearable point to me as a dad.  He was away so there was no fear of panic as he watched what was piled up to be hauled away.  He probably has more room than ever to roam now.  There is one very sad reality to this serious attempt at cleaning.  This was not the first time such an effort occurred.  I wonder just how much stuff was stacked on each other before my recent efforts.  One other painful idea came to my mind.  There is no telling what the dollar value was in the varied boxes or bags to be tossed out, given away or just moved to a new home.  I know that his interests change over time.  We do much the same as we age.  It still makes me cringe to consider how much money we can spend on stuff that will lose its value.   My promise was to take a longer look at what he accumulates so we can avoid this same issue in the future.  But he also knows that dad is a soft touch when it comes to his son.  All that I can do is try.

House cleaning is seldom fun but often needed.  We can say the same for our spiritual life.  God knows what stuff is gathered up to the point it closes off the flow of the Spirit.  I am sure that He attempts to get our attention so all of that yuk is cleansed.  We allow sin to sit around without really tackling it head on.  We live with attitudes that reflect our past condition far more than the present tense reality of God.  We lack the guts to do what is called for in order for us to be whole.  Revival is way more than our singing louder or doing more spiritual gymnastics.  It often begins with us admitting how much we need His help.  Schedules may be shifted as we yield to God's will.  Stuff we thought was so essential is seen as it really is with a divine focus.  No doubt but God's moving in our life may be tough at times.  But what we gain as more room is cleared for God to work far outweighs that hurt.  Let's hope we have the courage to let Him do what is needed so we can be everything He intends us to be. 

Bro. Trey