fbctatumstuff

Monday, April 28, 2014

I get to go to the Senior Prom yet again this year.  It is not because of my grades that I make a fourth trip to a prom.  My youngest graduates this year so it is my task to accompany him to the party.  My last prom was four years ago when my daughter attended.  That one was not long after finding out that I had cancer.  One can hope no diagnosis comes through this time.  Here I am at 52 going one more time to the big event.  There will no dancing as there is not a single dancing gene in my pool.  Parking cars and waiting on my son should be more than enough.

He is the reason for my joining the party this year.  Being autistic means he has a far different set of expectations than most who will be there.  It may be that dad is being overprotective.  That possibility exists.  But my concern is not so much for my son as it is the others who will be there.  I know my son.  He may do great at the prom or he may not get all of the activity happening around him.  No real pattern exists to predict his behavior.  Mostly he stays close to the tables where the music is played.  He may or may not sit down when songs come on that aren't on his list.  All may be fine until he decides that it is time to go.  Then he will want to go at that moment.

Words escape me when trying to describe what being the parent of a special needs child is really like.  Not everyone understands what a parent does when your child is disabled.  I do not know why God opted to give me this calling.  There are no real sources of information to make it simple.  No one can explain the strange demands or odd decisions you make when trusted with such a soul.  You can study, read, converse with others to gain insight but you still head out on your peculiar journey.  Parenting is hard enough without facing new challenges caused by a diagnosis.  It is not about adjusting for a time but for all of life.

Maybe there are those who want you to feel sorry for them as such a parent.  I hope that is not the norm of my behavior.  My prayer was not to have an autistic child years ago.  Being healthy was first on my list when thinking about the life to come.  But if I am to believe God can turn bad into good then my faith shares responsibility for being the best person possible.  God not only turns bad things into good things but He works on us as well.  Sometimes we go through an experience thinking it's bad when God's best is active in the midst.  Our selfish point of view doesn't allow room for God to define our moments.  Here is where we miss the gifts of God in such a reality.  This is when we let obstacles take control of our existence. We respond by saying this is the day the Lord made, let us muddle through.  I don't think that quite matches up with scripture.  I know it won't help us thrive to be fully mature.  That remains His goal even if not ours.

Bro. Trey