fbctatumstuff

Monday, May 15, 2006

I am reminded again of how life doesn't always turn out the way you plan it. One of the things about this job of mine is how often I deal with people for whom life went left when they expected it to turn right or vice versa. This is one of the hazards of being involved with caring for people who face real life or death trauma. In fact, I have to admit that it happens often enough that I am not sure how to respond when such things occur in my world.

Today I spent most of the afternoon in the Emergency Room with my youngest. His regular doctor was out of the office for personal reasons. Her substitute suggested we go there for both tests and faster results. I am proud of him for how he held up with the nurse drawing blood. There were a few false starts but he came through in the end. One of the reasons we went was to look for any signs of leukemia. Thankfully, all the tests indicate a healthy ten year old boy. I wish I could say the same for his father.

Perhaps it will hit me later tonight. Perhaps it will hit me sometime tomorrow. I am sure it will hit me though. It's that emotion or awareness that most of us face in the dark hours of life. Some people know how to utilize those moments for a greater growth. Sadly, I see far too many flail away at the darkness with no benefit. We are given this gift of life to use as we decide. Either we become convinced to use it in a relationship with God or we try to hold on to it as if it was ours alone. Days like today remind me that the only way to hold to what is valuable is to let it go to God. When we choose to let life go to God then we discover there is no darkness because He is our constant source of light. I pray God allows you to make that discovery in your world regardless of life's situation.
Bro. Trey