fbctatumstuff

Monday, July 02, 2007

There really is something to be said about being home. Even the word itself sounds warm and inviting to me. Occasionally someone will ask me where is my home. My answer includes the fact that my home is wherever my house is at the moment. For one thing, my hometown hasn't been home for almost 30 years. The house of my growing years has belonged to others since 1979. Since then my home has been in several states at different times. Twice my home was the house that I was purchasing. Usually my home is a house provided by the church where we work. This house now has been my home for nearly seven years. Though it is not technically mine it will be the one remembered during the years my children grew up.



Home doesn't always carry the same positive feelings for all. It is true that for some it is a word filled with negative emotion. Terrible things happen in far too many houses to far too many people. Even my home growing up wasn't always lined with laughter. Perhaps that is why my intention is to make sure home for my two children is a safe place. Wherever my journey takes me, my hope is they can remember these years and smile.



My heart warms when the thoughts turn to being home now. No doubt my autistic son will have some video game blaring as he works his magic. Almost always there is the sound of my daughter talking on her phone to a friend. Strangely enough, when the noise is gone I miss it. Coffee tastes better when brewed at home. Sleep seems deeper when at home. Even yard work and doing chores seems to be lighter at home. It serves as a barrier to the heat of summer or the cold of winter. One of the things that I get to learn with this lifestyle is a house isn't always a home. Home is where the heart resides.



Followers of Jesus sometimes seem confused on this. We allow our possessions to control us with worry. The biblical teachings tend to get lost in the pressures of life. Jesus told us home is in heaven. He said it is where our treasure is. Paul reminded us to seek things above not just be consumed by things now. Neither of these men seem to have a permanent home during their life. Both were free to give their full attention to God's desires for their life. My hope is that we too can have that freedom. My prayer is we too will know the pleasuures of home while looking to a greater destiny. My heart is that our hearts will always turn to home