fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

This is the time of the year where all various forms of Southern Baptists get together for some type of meeting or the other. Trying to explain how we relate to each other is a bit like trying to herd cats. From time to time I try to describe the various types of Southern Baptists and how they are connected to one another. Most of those attempts are met with empty, glazed eyes. We are a confusing bunch to be sure. There are associations where a group of churches in an area get together. There are state conventions in each state. They major on ministry across a given state. Now we have some states with more than one state convention. Both believe they are right. One tends to lean to the right while the other leans to the left. It leaves a bunch of us in the middle very perplexed.

It is no secret that my approach is still in the old time Baptist tradition. One of my prized possessions is a yellowed paper that gives the date of my enrollment into the cradle roll department in First Baptist Church, New Orleans. That means when I could do little more than lay on my back and look cute that I was a Baptist. There is not a day in my almost 47 years of life when I have not been a Baptist. If you were to cut me I'd probably bleed Lottie Moon or Amazing Grace.

It is a hard time to be a Baptist. We are pulled in every direction while being told who is right and why the other is wrong. Everyday it becomes more and more difficult to stay in the middle with someone pushing you in either direction. It is also a sad time to be a Baptist. There is much to find distasteful in both approaches to the denomination. My state convention is mired in scandal and poor leadership. The national convention is filled with dissension to the point that too much disagreement is punished. As one of my deacons would say, "a plague on both their houses."

My approach is to continue to be informed even at the expense of being irritated at the behavior of our "leaders." My theology will not change at this point. You will always find me being a biblical conservative. This isn't because I am close minded but because it simply makes sense. There may not be much room for Bapists who are like me. This does not bother me one bit. My motto is, "Baptist born, Baptist bred, when I die will be Baptist dead." Of course, my hope is the latter is not for a few years yet!

Bro. Trey