fbctatumstuff

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Today was a good day. It was to me at least. Our students experienced a Disciple Now conference this weekend. Seventeen or so high school and middle school youth met together to hear and discuss spiritual issues. We had a few of the girls spend the nights at our house. They brought a very real energy to the service this morning. Perhaps I picked up their vibe since my part of the service was more energetic than usual. It's true that I cannot speak for anyone but myself but it seemed a good day.

Fortunately my back felt up to a walk/run today. There was no pushing or real stressing of this old body. But it did feel good wrapping up three miles this afternoon. Oh, there is some residual discomfort but for the most part it is healing up. It didn't bother me sitting through two meetings as well as an evening service. Right now I am trying to rest it a little while blogging. There is still a flying trip to the store to make before the night is done. Hopefully most of the family will be asleep by the time I return. Once again my youngest awoke at 3 a.m. last night. The real problem with that begins when he wants the rest of us to be awake. Oh well.

My truest hope is for us at FBC to get a better handle on real love. The journey for me so far is eye opening. Most of my adult life includes more than a few people who offered me their insight into how I could do better. No doubt more than a few who wanted to help me really wanted me to improve somewhere else. I'm not referring to another area of life but in terms of moving away to learn the lessons. How often I wished to speak up in some agreement with their desire. Yet there is not as much to be learned in a new place without committing to grow where you live now. It's easy to act nice to strangers while it takes courage to let God change your heart and your habits with those you know well.

Too often we stuff people into boxes and then refuse to let them out. Perhaps that person is growing or changing yet the box remains. We can allow the hurtful actions of the past drive our present emotions or actions. More than a few people alive do not even realize how much pain they recycle in life. Then there are those times when we cut others off from getting too close to hurt us. It works but the opposite reaction is they cannot get close enough to bless us. This thing called love can be a complicated matter to be sure. So my prayer is still for you and I to grow together over these next weeks. Even when love is not easy, my hope is we still choose it.

Bro. Trey