fbctatumstuff

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Well, tonight is sure an interesting time. Today was one of those very odd days where nothing seemed to just flow smoothly. Even the weather now is unsettled with rain and thunder in the background. Some days just seem to move that direction. It really was an untypical day around here. Perhaps it started yesterday when my mother and sister came to visit. We enjoyed seeing them but it threw my son's plans off by at least two hours. That isn't so bad but part of his plans included a visit to Chuck E. Cheese. It seemed that every child in our East Texas area decided to have their party right when we arrived. To make matters worse, the one game he wanted to play was out of order. It was the longest hour or so that I can remember for awhile.

This morning seemed to go ok. Sometimes it is hard to tell if the staring of the crowd is due to their rapt attention or from being asleep. My hope is that it was attention and not sleep. There was a fast lunch after which the girls of my house went out to shop. My youngest played his games while I tried to catch a fast nap. Then it was time to go for my run/walk. Even that normal routine went amiss. The school is recovering the track prior to track season. So I made my way over to the baseball field to run. It is just not the same and more importantly it is not a smooth surface. There are rabbit holes, gopher holes and holes of a nature that I do not recognize. It was a good run but very jarring to the knees, hips, and spine. Why does this matter? In getting ready for church tonight I bent over to tie shoes. That is when the serious spasms in my lower back kicked in hard. I am not sure if I spoke in tongues but the word "ow" was used a lot.

Somehow we got through the evening service. God bless the handful who showed up on Super Bowl Sunday. It is just a pain to try to juggle that game in anyway that pleases anyone. So we just go ahead with our plans and try not to heap buckets of false guilt on those who stay home to watch the game. I did run over to our Methodist church where some students gathered to take advantage of a very large screen television. It seemed better after awhile to be miserable at home so that is where I finished the night. After the game I spent some time doing my part to stimulate the economy. Nothing says Sunday night better than paying bills!

There is probably a great theological truth to all of this rambling. Perhaps there is something that can shift the cosmic flux between good and evil. Maybe it is just the disconnected thoughts of someone in pain. Ok, maybe the lesson is just that days like this happen. We get through it and then we get over it. God is still God. The world is still in its place. Tomorrow is another day. We keep going even when life is so disjointed. Faith still works when you don't have all the answers. You are human and can only do so much on difficult days. So keep your head together if you have a day like this. Grow up to keep at the basics that day. God may be doing something beneath the surface. You might miss it if you give up on it.

Bro. Trey