fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

We are posting lately around the topic of relationships and how they are affected by real issues. Even the writing last night relates to important matters that can make or break our connection with those around us. All of the major characters in "The Wrestler" are broken in some fashion. Randy Robinson's physical scars end up being minor to his emotional. You and I may not be pro wrestlers but never discount the power of emotional bruising. It is still my conviction that God wants to not just save us to go to heaven but also to heal us in every sense of the word. The scars on my soul or heart can and will limit my ability to open up to others.

There are two other issues just as vital to healthy relationships. One of these is our perspective on life, God and others. I said last night that my moving through each day is affected by my faith. That vision includes movies, reading books, or life in general. Some people see things only through their past pain. Because they are bruised within they tend to avoid the risk of really connecting. Some people become expert manipulators in order to preserve their ego. These are the people that silently demand we please them or meet their expectations. The key word for these people is control not commitment. Spending time with God may force us to let go of our self centered perspective. The odds are good that He will point out to us how we sabotage others to get what we want. We can and will say more about that later.

There is also the issue of our personality. Each one of us is uniquely wired by God physically, spiritually, and emotionally. That personality can be bruised or broken over the years. It also can be made healthy with God's help. The best measure of personality in my opinion comes in the Myers/Briggs Inventory. You can google it to find all manner of websites that will inform you on the test. Each person has their own personality trait. Some are extroverted while some are introverted. There are some who enjoy the details while others prefer the big picture view. Some base decisions on just facts and others take feelings into account. Then there are some who are neat freaks while others just let things stay where they fall. It is a fascinating test for you to take. Just be honest so you can discover another aspect of how you are wired.

My personality type is called "INFJ." You would not be surprised to know it is a rare type. In my view it is the most difficult of all the personalities listed. For example, there is part of me that is introverted yet my perspective mostly comes on the basis of feelings. Guess what? Those two areas are in constant conflict over how I relate to others. Even when there is the presence of deep emotion there is also this introversion side standing in the way of expression. It is not meant as whining to say that this was a huge discovery for me. There was always this feeling of why do I struggle so with others. Learning what was going on in my mind and heart was a huge relief. It was also just the beginning of the battle.

Let me close for the day by saying that knowing something is far from acting to change it. We cannot let whatever our personality is to be the sole determining factor of relationships. If I struggle with being introverted then there also must be a conscious decision to ask for God's help to be better. Part of the curse of my personality is waiting and waiting for just one more piece of information before making decisions. It sounds ridiculous but it is true. Ever wonder why people cannot see the plain facts in front of them? Maybe it is because they are waiting for a feeling so they can act. Each day means bringing all of myself to God with scars and with who I am. There is a constant awareness that the reason for action or inaction comes from not growing into wholeness. That can include not knowing when to stop writing on a blog! It may be a good thing to stop for now and pick up tomorrow.

Bro. Trey