fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

There are times that this blog doesn't know what direction to take. Yes, it does have a life of its own. Usually the blank screen just stares at me waiting for me to fill it. Sometimes it waits only a few moments. Yet, there are times that it seems to be mocking me while it waits. Why is it that a piece of technology seems to have its own life? Anyway, this blog really is something that I really enjoy. Chances are that I enjoy it more than the reader. That is very agreeable to me. My hope is still that every so often someone gets some light or hope from my random words.

So today there were four teenage girls at my house. These are supposedly four smart young women who make great grades. They are active in school activities. Today they also decided to jump on the trampoline while it was raining! Here are the four of the best of their class who thought this was a good idea. Evan decided to take their place when they finished. This sounded at first like a bad idea. After more reflection, it seems that it is best described as fun.

When did having fun become a serious subject? We start our lives as children becoming experts at the fine art of fun. Then we spend far too many years of our life forgetting how much fun we had. One of the girls climbed up into a tree for a bit. How long has it been since you climbed a tree just because it was there? It's been awhile for me. There was unrestrained giggling and laughing echoing in the house. How long since you had a long time of just laughing until your belly hurt? Perhaps there are times that I may not be serious enough. But it seems as a general rule that too often people are too serious over the insignificant.

One of my favorite things in my office is an engraving of Jesus laughing. He has a smile as wide as the Palo Duro Canyon. We may not often think of Jesus laughing much less having any sense of humor. How do you then explain how children seemed drawn to Him in the gospels? Why do you think He shows up at lots of parties? Even the sinners of that time knew Jesus to have a warm, friendly personality. To me, Jesus knew how to laugh when something had authentic humor. He not only is the Savior who loves but He also laughs. William Barclay wrote, "Nothing has done the cause of Christianity more harm than gloomy believers."

I better go now. I hear a trampoline calling my name.

Bro. Trey