fbctatumstuff

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Break 2009 is now in full swing. There may not be a teacher in our local school system to be found over the next week. Those who are not traveling away are probably hiding out. My two are extremely happy with this time away from school. My daughter who is doing quite well with her grades could use the time away. We won't brag but she is for sure smarter than your average bear. Not sure if my youngest needs the break as much as his teacher. Some people take advantage of the week to get away to rest. We will probably just stay right here in our town for the most part. Oh, we may run errands but none of them will be extravagant. The best part will just be hearing them rummage around the house.

My role this week is to be part driver and part referee. There is a wedding to perform on Saturday night but my goal is to leave the schedule open. We had our children much later than most parents. I was 32 when my oldest child was born. You will be glad to know that no gory details will be given now. Just know it was a long and torturous process. I completely identify with Abraham in the Old Testament and Zacharias in the New Testament. My point is that enjoying my children is never difficult. Yes, they can be normal kids but that passes with time. It is going to be extremely painful on me when my daughter goes to college. We are trying to get her to do online college while living at home. So far, that idea is going nowhere fast.

We are a typical two income family in many ways. Where we differ is the nature of our jobs. Both of us work in careers that can call for very strange hours. My wife is in the Child Protective area of social service. Obviously, my work is through the church. Do not take the following as complaining or whining. It is just a statement of fact. One of most gut wrenching struggles is to juggle the work life with being a parent. Yes, this is a statement to be said by most parents. At least it's my hope most parents would say this. The issue for me is when an emergency arises where I may be unable to just drop everything to go. On more than a few occasions it took me longer to get to the hospital or another place where needed. It goes without saying that office hours are a nightmare to handle when there is no school. The point to be made is simply that never doubt my desire to be somewhere when called. Just let me get everyone settled and I will get there.

My daughter is a huge help when she is home. Even with autism, my youngest really does not require constant attention. The bulk of my presence at home is to just insure his safety. Perhaps it is my bad habit to let his condition affect me as much as it does. He has gone with me to the hospital on occasion. One day he even had to go with me while seeing someone who just lost a loved one. That did not go well at all. Many if not most ministers have that freedom to come and go as they please. With my family, that is not always possible.

Are there any answers other than sounding pessimistic? Patience is one word that comes to mind. My arrival times may not always be punctual but it does happen. Perhaps we could grow to realize that having those closest to you there may give more comfort than I can. Most occasions on arriving to a crisis I find more than a few people already there doing ministry. It is my theological conclusion that we place more emphasis on the official minister than is called for. This is not to say my role or the role of any other minister is not significant. It simply means we forget the profound effect of regular people. One does not have to be a professional to make a difference. Last, know that my heart hurts when those times happen and time is needed to juggle everyone. It is truly my desire to be as free and open as possible. We can and will get through those times. Let's just work together if it happens again.

Bro. Trey