fbctatumstuff

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Two days away from blogging is too long. There are times when the well of inspiration runs a bit dry. But the longer that I try to consistently blog, the more that I look forward to writing. This blog may not change the world. It probably is not as deep or philosophical as some blogs out there. You can just factor in the writer of the material for this fact. Perhaps we can on occasion strike a note with whoever might actually read this.

The last two days were more hectic than usual. Some of it was work related with projects that needed to be finished. Yes, there are times some of my work does come to a completion. Some of the craziness was family related with my role here. Yesterday was a busy day of catching up on house stuff, yard work, and other things that needed attention. Part of that included mowing. Yes, it is March and the yard already needs tending. You can count on me being out in the yard for a day or two a week from now until October. Right now all the mowing is done with a push mower. My riding tractor needs to go for a pit stop to bring it up to speed. For the next few months, breathing will be something that won't come easy. Allergies love me.

Yard work is part of my life. It is one of those things my father so graciously allowed me to do while growing up. We had a huge yard in those days. There is no telling how many riding mowers we went through. In fact, part of my summer work included mowing other yards. I got a nasty spider bite while mowing a neighbors yard one day. It got me right on my chest. There was another lady who insisted that her yard be mowed to the level of a golf putting green. I remember arguing with her about how her grass was being scalped. To my amazement, I won the argument. One of the joys of my mowing work was the yard of a woman who ran the expensive dress shop in town. Her brother was the former Speaker of the House in Washington. She was such a delight. Many times she would offer me ice tea after I got her seal of approval. I think that if I weren't in my job now that being a groundskeeper for a pro baseball team sounds wonderful. Grass never argues with me or holds committee meetings.

Most of my efforts yesterday really included no grass. It's the time of the year where clover or other weeds are coming up. If you let clover get to high, it will mock you later when you try to cut it. Don't get me wrong, it looks all pretty and springish. But when that passes it is simply a pain to handle. It is better to not let it get started and so it went under the mower yesterday. Next will be the fertilizing and the seeding of grass so it stays strong in the coming heat. Yes, these are lessons learned the hard way.

All of us have stuff that grows up in our life. We may even find it attractive for awhile. But if we do not deal with it then it overruns our life. Attitudes and actions can dominate our personality if we do not get an early handle on it. It all starts innocently and even naturally. But it can choke out the good stuff that withstands the elements later. Don't let this happen to you. Stay ahead of the game by letting God show you what may need to be cut down or even cut out. A little pain now is so much better than lots of pain later.

Bro. Trey