fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Yes, it is a bit late to blog tonight. Is one of those days where real life interrupted the best of intentions. At least the night ended with me watching my two favorite television shows. My daughter and I started out with "Lost" years ago and at least one of us will finish with it next year. Then it was time for "Life on Mars" which became a favorite of mine very fast. It is a blend of science fiction and police drama. It is only a one year show as the network cancelled it this week. For some reason, I enjoy the strange shows that don't seem to make it.

The premise of the show takes too long to explain. What is fascinating to me is the setting of the drama. All of the action takes place in 1973 which means there is great music in the background. The fashions may fall short but the music is great. The 70s are my era. It was the time of my growing up in small town East Texas. We didn't know how to deal with our long hair just yet. Our 8-track players would skip far too often. Blue jeans had wide bottoms to the point you could hide small children in them. They were still innocent times yet there was a mischievous tone to them.

My town was great for being a kid. We had a fully functional town square. One of our grocery stores would deliver your order if you called them. Our cars were big while our gas was cheap. We would chase each other around town just because we could. Often we would end up on the parking lot of the local DQ to intently talk about nothing. Going to Texarkana or Marshall was a trip to the big city for me. That is where you went if you really wanted to impress your date. There are so many stories that could be told about those growing up years. Most of them are probably not fit for a blog of this nature. My life was not spent in a bubble until I somehow mysteriously became "holy." Not only do I know where the bodies are buried in my town, it may be that I assisted in putting some there!

Those were great times of bad hair and worse fashion. My town looks nothing like it did back then. Time and the economy tore a huge hole in its soul. The DQ is there but that may be all that remains. The 8-track players are now in museums. It was almost 20 years from the time of my graduation from high school until the next time I walked into my high school. Trophies were dusty while my teachers gave way to my classmates taking their place.

We had a big reunion a few years ago. My daughter went with me. It was great! We both had a blast with my friends and their kids. There were more than a few people I had not seen in 25 years. Some aged better than others. Some looked like their mom or dad. Some did not attend because they lost a battle with life far too early. It could be that we do it again this summer. It would be fun to see them all again.

Ok, so there is no real application tonight other than to reminisce. We will try to be more spiritual tomorrow. We will also try to be earlier tomorrow. No promises as my schedule has me out of pocket for some of the afternoon. But we will try to do better.

Bro. Trey