fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Today went off schedule early and remained that way for the duration. My plan is to blame the weatherman for that. He is the one who upped the rain chances for the next few days which put me into mowing early. My house sits on the corner of the street on the way to the city cemetery. So one of my odd duties or desires is to be sure my lawn is mowed prior to funerals. At some point my church will get a new pastor who will have to show the same diligence. At the least he can be sure someone gets the grass cut before a large crowd tramples though on their way to a graveside service. Yes, it sounds peculiar but it is the way of life in a small town.

Small town life is far removed from the big city. Recently I noticed two men standing outside gazing at a big 18 wheeler as it crossed the intersection. From my perspective it appeared they were both displaying envy while debating what type of truck is the best. Only in a rural area does a debate over various truck brands end with serious volume on the merits of each type. We still get that deserted appearance on Sunday afternoons. Everyone is either out on four wheelers or on a boat or just hiding on the couch. Camouflage is not just for hunting here. It can be worn in diverse colors to match the boots or the hat. Such is life here.

We forget that Jesus was also born in a small town. Bethlehem was one of those tiny dots on the map of Judea. Even Nazareth was far from a metropolitan area. Plus, remember how often the gospels remind us that He spent a large part of time away from the crowded city. Things can happen in the smaller locales that may not be possible amid the craziness of urban life. We recently spent the weekend in Fort Worth. This meant taking the approach of offensive driving rather than defensive. It was great having lots of choices when out and about but the traffic did not make it any easier. Being there was fun but being back in my small town was better.

Where we are from goes a long way in shaping who we are. It also plays a huge role in figuring out why we are the way we act or think. My world view is a product of small town life in the 1970's. It's my luck that the view is changing from the years and experiences of life's journey. However, when alone it is still just me as a small town boy trying to get a handle on life. The process of faith also affects how our perspective alters over time. We connect to the eternal God of the universe in Christ by faith. Our minds and hearts become new as we move forward in the adventure of grace. We gain experience that is unlimited in scope and application. Our hearts are made ready for heaven that is beyond imagination. That idea still boggles my mind. Maybe I will be better off finding a small part of heaven to call home. Maybe I won't have to mow for any reason there. My hope is you are being prepared for that final place also. It can happen even if you are from the big city.

Bro. Trey