fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Last night's blog was cancelled due to injury.  Recovery is now underway but we may still keep this short.  I had the bright idea to mow yesterday afternoon.  That part went fine but it was the aftermath that got to me.  One thing I do is rinse out my eyes from dust or grass upon completing my yard work.  I was actually cleaning off my face along with my eyes when some large grass thingy got embedded in my left eyelid.  Pain does not come close to describing the next eighteen hours or so.  My eye doctor worked me in his schedule this morning for which I am deeply grateful.  He found the culprit without having to look much.  Lifting back my eyelid was the precursor for taking out the problem.  Relief was almost immediate from the constant scratching.  Perhaps by tomorrow the eye will be almost as good as new.  I don't think any of my cancer procedures hurt as much as this small piece of the yard. 

What is most frustrating to me is that my intention was to avoid anything like that occurring.  Our area is very dry now.  The dust is blowing everywhere to the point we look as if we live in the Panhandle.  Using eye drops is one way to keep the allergies from flaring up so bad.  I did realize that maturity allowed me to make the call for the doctor to examine me.  There was no trying to handle this on my own.  Constant rinsing my eyes was getting nowhere fast.  I was going to need some help if things were to improve.  It is amazing what you are willing to do when the pain gets severe.  Yes, it is probable that I will look at buying some type of goggle for mowing.  Here again is another sign of getting older.  My tendency is to resist doing this for whatever reason.  Today may be the trigger for a new direction.

We can make lots of points about all of this.  Small things can cause big problems when they land in sensitive areas of our life.  Even small sins or resentments can grow into huge problems.  We may want to handle such matters in our own way.  What we find is that we need help to extract the pain from our life.  Humility helps us do just that.  This is when our pride finally yields to a recognition of helplessness.  It becomes the moment when we finally allow God to do as needed to restore us.  Growing up means knowing your limits.  You are able to receive help from God or other people to make you better.  You can see most of the obvious implications of this event.  I am grateful for a physician who could eliminate this irritant from my vision.  I want to be increasingly grateful to God for His tender mercies.  It is that kindness that allows real healing to begin.

Bro. Trey