fbctatumstuff

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Preaching is not nearly as easy as it seems.  This is true for me but it could be some find it rather simple.  You probably seldom think on all that goes into a single sermon or study.  This is not a problem but maybe it is time for a few words on what can be involved.  Let me begin by stating that my words do not refer to some who use sermon book or websites for material.  I can and will admit to using these tools sometimes when doing the sermon building.  My issue is with any who may use those aids on a regular basis without giving proper credit.  My goal is to always mention a source should an idea or outline be better than my efforts.  There are occasions when the work of another just seems to best capture what is in your heart.  My sermons or studies are greatly the product of my work.  This can obviously be bad as easy as it can be good.  My regular listeners may opt for the bad part more often than I would like.

Tomorrow is a day to let what few brain cells that are left rest from the last day or so.  Research for next Sunday really should begin on Tuesday.  Let me also confess there are times when it begins on Wednesday.  Some guys really enjoy all of the background gathering for a message.  You can generally count me as one of that group.  Others tend to move quickly past the study into the prepping of outlines and the like.  All of this took much more time in the past than now.  Organizing my findings is very much more streamlined than the early years.  The point of all of this is to say that a decent sermon or study takes more than an hour or so to complete.  I have no research assistants to help me unlike ministers who make more money or whose church can afford to put these people on the payroll.  My study is still written out on legal pads by hand.  The average length is about three pages with some being shorter and some longer.  It can become tiresome to do every week but it is still invaluable.

There is also the emotional side to all of this that is often misunderstood.  I am not speaking of being loud or yelling when thinking about feelings.  My idea concerns the connection one develops during the week of getting ready.  Every good study will engage the heart along with the mind of the preacher.  You cannot avoid this if you are open to God's movement in the process.  I personally attempt to not be dramatic just for the sake of drama.  Most people yell at me when they are mad.  The preacher often is excited about what he wishes to present but truth is not any more real whether one speaks loud or soft.  The wise minister knows that his words can also draw the congregation into a better position to hear.  One of my unique qualities is being aware whether or not that is happening during a given message.  Some of this is due to my personality or how I am wired.  Some of this grows out of years of talking to groups of differing levels.  Not only is my aim to be biblical but it is also to avoid being boring.

I write all of this because it seems like my preaching is in a bit of a slump recently.  Perhaps some of this is because Isaiah is not one of those books we often hear mentioned.  But my study over the last few weeks is both challenging and fulfilling for me.  Isaiah is a fascinating journey to take.  Another reason goes back to something that crossed my desk before the new year began.  Researchers into church life found that people are more interested in practical answers than they are wrestling with theological thinking.  I do believe that application is vital to any study.  But have we lost the capacity to really wrestle with the serious truths of scripture?  Maybe we are more interested in being changed than being challenged in the deepest part of our being.  Odds are good that it is as usual a combination of my efforts along with the other.  Let me wrap up tonight by simply saying that we cannot avoid moving deeper in our understanding of God's truth.  Not every passage lends itself to a few steps or principles to live happily ever after.  Sometimes it is true that our own tendency to self destruct is the greatest obstacle to having an easier existence.  Talking about those uncomfortable issues is never easy but it does matter in the long run.  At least it matters to me. 

Bro. Trey