fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tomorrow night is the beginning of the World Series.  This is the final set of games to determine who will be the champion of professional baseball for the year.  Spring training began in the middle of February so its been a long season for the two teams remaining.  The first team to win four games will be declared the world champions of baseball.  I started way back in 1968 watching these games.  My memory is of getting home from school to watch baseball since they were day games back then.  This makes 43 years of watching the World Series.  I don't recall another one so hard to pick a team.

My very first experience was the year the St. Louis Cardinals were playing the Detroit Tigers.  That was a classic series that went the entire seven games.  You would want to know that the Cardinals are somewhat in my blood.  My dad's side of the family were huge fans long before I was born.  My love for the team grew from 1968 through the years.  I even have a wall hanging from a few years ago with four of the Cardinal players featured.  The one player that was my inspiration was Bob Gibson who pitched his entire career in St. Louis.  He was a fierce competitor on the mound.  I learned how to throw a high fastball at a batter from him.  Maybe it sounds mean but it can be fun also.  My point is that my Cardinals are once again in the World Series but my loyalty lies with the other team.

Who would ever imagine that the Texas Rangers would be in the World Series for two consecutive years?  It seems more incredible than a reality.  This team was absolutely horrible for most of its years.  Now we have a real chance of winning it all.  My daughter and I are enormous fans so that makes it even better.  We should get to watch a game or two together while she is home this weekend.  I don't know if they can beat the Cardinals but one can hope.  They are my team even with my long history with the opposition.  I will be rooting them on every game.  Winning the championship would be so amazing given their long line of futility. 

Baseball has little to do with the spiritual side of life most of the time.  It is one of the earthly pleasures I enjoy.  At least no matter who wins this year I can be happy about it.  All that is left is for the games to begin. 

Bro. Trey