fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Let me just say that finding information sure does get tough at times.  We are only a few weeks away from Easter so that is where my mind is going.  Took me quite awhile to search for what I need to begin the preparations.  My guess is that it's mostly due to my poor efforts.  This is in the midst of trying to get ready for next Sunday.  We are celebrating the Lord's Supper in the morning service so things will be a bit different than usual.  Jonah will get to take a week off from our studies.  But you can be sure that he will return after a week away.  I just hope to lock in on something that will add to our observance.  All one can do is try to make it meaningful in a way that builds up a believer.  The rest is up to them.

Another problem is we do have to deal with the Super Bowl this weekend.  My usual take on the game is one of frustration.  We now make it the next big holiday after New Years Day.  I enjoy the game of football just as much as anyone.  But there is a large part of me that is just glad when it ends.  Churches now have to deal with the usual interruptions to a normal schedule on that Sunday night.  It really used to bother me greatly when I was younger.  Age does come with some benefits as I now just roll with the punches.  We don't cancel church because of the game.  This does not mean that I have a problem with doing that.  Some churches just don't want to be seen as giving in to the pressure of our culture.  I did try several options to dealing with the popularity of the game.  Some of these worked out pretty well.  Others still needed more trial to avoid error.  But this is the age of DVR so I can watch the game in its entirety should that be my choice. 

Let me go ahead and throw out my prediction for the game.  You may need to know that the Patriots are playing the Giants.  This is a rematch of a Super Bowl a few years ago.  That game was won by the Giants in a huge upset.  Many of the same details are going into this contest.  One difference is more people are predicting the Giants to win this time.  My heart is personally going to be on the Giants side.  Nothing against the other team but that is just who I'm mostly likely to support.  But hear me say that my head believes the Patriots will win this time.  My life will not radically change no matter who succeeds in the end.  But my study of Jonah is affecting my choice this year. 

The owner of the Patriots seems to be a very good man.  He was a key player in resolving the labor issues during the offseason.  He did this even though is wife passed away close to the end of the negotiations.  She sounds like one of those rare jewels you find occasionally.  The team dedicated this season to her and her memory.  A few excellent sports articles detail how even the players on the team dealt with grief over her passing.  My personal choice is not to gamble or make bets on games.  But you can be sure my money would be on the Patriots for one reason.  The team is looking beyond their own interests to do something great in her memory.  Sports has a way of unfolding so these types of stories happen.  So let's sit back no matter what our schedule is on Sunday night and see if this comes to pass.  We will try to be a tad more spiritual the next time we write.

Bro. Trey