fbctatumstuff

Friday, January 06, 2012

Who would think that a Friday in January would include push mowing the yard?  I actually did not push all of it but there were some places calling for attention.  There will be a big gathering here in a few weeks so it was a good time to start the process to be ready.  Saturday looks like there will be the final putting away of Christmas stuff which means making room for it.  My allergies will be grateful for the yard work as well as being outside tomorrow.  Winters can be strange around here.  Warmer weather is usually a sign of a cold snap waiting to begin.  But having to mow down weeds and such does seem premature.

I also helped pack my favorite daughter for her return to college tomorrow.  She didn't seem to take my request for her to remain home as serious.  Time flies when she is home.  Seems as if she just drove up yesterday after the fall semester.  Before long it will be time to move her back home for the summer.  I may not have many skills but for some odd reason packing is one of them.  Everything is loaded waiting for her trip tomorrow.  It took me about 45 minutes to get it all put in order.  She has friends who will meet her to assist in the unloading.  Just know there is another adjustment period coming.  But it will be good for me to let go once again.

Our house becomes extremely busy when she is home.  Friends just pop over without warning at all hours.  You can never be sure how many cars may be sitting in the front yard.  The noise level also increases greatly during those times.  What is good about that is it often is the sound of laughing.  Good times seem to follow whenever the gang congregates in our home.  This usually is preceded by trips to the grocery store for strange foods.  All of this is very agreeable to me.  Being a dad is an honor or privilege.  I am grateful for both my favorite son and favorite daughter.  Not sure what I could say if a third child was born?

I thought of how church should be somewhat like those times when my daughter is home.  You can invite friends to share the time.  You can be yourself since its comfortable.  Nothing is off limits for conversation since people care about you and your feelings.  No one is in competition to be noticed since everyone is the same.  I fully realize the analogy breaks down in other ways.  But it is a great idea that church should not feel strange in relation to the other parts of life.  We are family by God's grace.  Maybe we can be even more by sharing that grace to others. 

Bro. Trey