fbctatumstuff

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Welcome to our Sunday night ritual of doing a rewind on the weekend.  I really try to be original at least by accident but it is tough after a full day at church.  My brain gets tired with so much going on around me.  Age seems to catch up with me far faster than past years.  Adding music leading to my list of duties is no help in any of this.  I will admit that it is enjoyable to lead the hymn singing.  My talents may not include music but it can remain hidden when everyone else sings with me.  Working our basketball tournament provided help in my being weary.  I ran the clock during four games on Saturday.  You may remember me saying that you have to concentrate on every second of the contest.  Not only does your finger hurt a little but it drains energy from your mind and body.  Part of the reward is just the fun of being in a different setting with other friends.  Just be sure that I am looking forward to resting tonight.

We celebrated the season once again today in church.  Last week it was our children who presented their musical.  Today we heard from our adults as they led in worship.  Christmas musicals are part of a lifelong heritage in my memory.  Some of my earliest memories include my dad doing the narration for one program or another.  My mother would either be playing or singing in the choir.  You knew it was Christmas when you heard a John Peterson composition.  We also enjoyed our annual Carols and Candlelight service.  Our kids will read the story of Jesus birth as we sing a verse or two of familiar songs in between.  Then we observe the Lord's Supper or Communion as others call it.  Usually this service happens on the last Sunday prior to Christmas.  Lights are turned down very low as we reflect on what this time of year is all about.  My hope is that people let this time speak to their hearts.  I constantly warn them of not being too busy to miss the real meaning of Christmas.

The last few days were so hectic for me that I forgot all about paying my water bill.  It was due on Thursday but it totally slipped my mind.  Even ministers need the occasional wake up call to pay attention.  Service will not be lost since City Hall is on my list of places to go tomorrow.  Staying busy can be an escape from dealing with reality.  People will fill up their schedules so they avoid facing the current conditions.  Being in a hectic pace may say we are simply overextended when it comes to our life.  Our lives get stuck on a never ending cycle with no real place to stop and evaluate why we are so busy.  It may very well be that if you even tried to cut back in one area that the rest would also come tumbling down.  Do not get me wrong.  There is nothing at all wrong with being busy.  But do not allow the calendar to dictate your existence.  Make time to recharge your heart in God's presence.  Be sure that your activities fall in line with God's purpose for your life.  I can make up paying my water bill tomorrow.  Making up for missing God's purpose will cost us far more in the end. 

Bro. Trey