fbctatumstuff

Friday, July 13, 2012

Some weeks can go slow.  Other weeks seem to fly by with everything happening.  This is one of the latter rather than the former.  My youngest and I made several trips to town together over the last few days.  Work stuff meant the need to go see people with the other usual errands.  This can be tough with him.  Let me just say that he did a great job helping dad do his thing.  Everyone got visited plus they got to experience my son in his finest form.  It was a week of togetherness from start to finish.  


I really did not want to mention the weather again.  But let me try to tie it into whatever else follows.  Humidity is amazing.  Our temperatures are below normal lately but we are getting a healthy dose of that heavy air.  It never fails to make me think of being in South Louisiana.  You can almost see the moisture moving about.  It hangs like newly washed clothes over the line to dry.  Trying to run and walk took extra effort this week.  Lungs grow accustomed to dryer heat only to adjust to high humidity.  There is one other odd thing that this weather pattern does to me.  I get awfully hungry for seafood.  Maybe this is because my birth place is New Orleans.  My appetite becomes single minded in the desire for shrimp or oysters.  One of the problems is that my youngest has a very limited menu for his meals.  Most of those fried foods are not in his usual routine.  But the desire for seafood finally overcame my matching his menu.  


We went to a place in town on Wednesday that has good seafood.  I told him there would be french fries at least.  Then it dawned on me that I could order him a meal while sharing my fries with his.  This way there would be even more for me to eat.  Who knew he would end up enjoying clam strips as much as he did?  My plate would be loaded up with fried oysters and shrimp but he would also enjoy his meal.  We went again today because he asked to go there.  Imagine my surprise as he marches up to the counter to order his own plate of the clam strips and fries?  He didn't share this time.  The plate was cleaned out in minutes as he worked his way down from top to bottom.  My heart burst with pride seeing him dig in while I enjoyed my meal.  It wasn't so much about his trying something new but that we have a new common interest.  My little man enjoys some of the same stuff as his dad now.  


This is a big thing to me.  Maybe it falls on the smaller side of most spectrum but it matters to this dad.  Good days are often made up of things that seem small.  It's when you add them up that you realize just how big life becomes.


Bro. Trey