fbctatumstuff

Sunday, July 14, 2013

7/14/2013

Today got off to a great start then ended on another high note.  My son and I had some togetherness before heading off to church.  Neither of my children are young any longer so any time like that is welcome.  Those moments are rare as I grow older so each one counts a little more.  After our morning service we met my mother and sister at the house.  It's a birthday weekend for my siblings so it seemed right to celebrate.  Hopefully a good time was had by all.  Squeezing in time to walk and jog was tough since there was an afternoon meeting to attend.  We got through that with a little time to spare.  The end of my day was another community wide service in our building.  Who knew these gatherings would be such a blessing to me much less anyone else?

The idea for getting together in these summer months came to my mind over a period of time.  You might think this brainstorm came during some intense time of praying.  It actually came to fruition while mowing my yard.  You can probably guess that being cautious is woven into my personality.  I really do not remember another idea that came to me that blossomed so fast.  Getting together to break the monotony of the summertime was my first thought.  To share that idea took a tiny amount or risk.  We put the dates on the calendar with no clue what to expect.  God can be totally surprising when He puts an event together.

Attendance is beyond what I initially imagined it would be.  Thank you to those who make the time to join with us.  The messages are excellent though mine last week may pale in comparison.  To hear us sing together on hymns or songs is a blessed experience.  We had some men who really carried us through tonight.  Part of the fun is to spend time with people from other congregations.  Food is always a great draw to get believers together.  Another thank you should go to those who provided the meals.  It is a little strange to see all of us together eating but it is also a great blessing. 

There is a sense where my desire is to just not get in the way of what God may be doing.  I am grateful and humbled by the response so far.  In no way would I desire any credit for the last two Sunday evenings.  Whatever is happening is long since out of my hands.  One of the things I said tonight is my gut says these worship moments are putting a dent in the armor of the enemy.  There is no empirical proof of this except for my gut.  Maybe it is just gathering to worship as one body that causes this.  Some of it could be that this is a God idea that He intends to work through.  Now there is the intent to resist any or all efforts to mess this up.  There are those occasions in the spiritual life where God decides to use our availability to do something fresh.  Cherish those moments as holy and unique.  My great hope is whatever He wishes to do can continue.  It would be great to see God do awesome stuff in our fledgling efforts.  May it be just that way.

Bro. Trey