fbctatumstuff

Monday, November 12, 2007

One of the predicaments of this job is the tendency to make people mad. That sounds very odd doesn't it? How can one work for the Prince of Peace yet end up with different people upset or angry at times? For over 25 years my approach to ministry is to avoid having individuals feeling that way. Sunday might be a day when a new record was set in people being disappointed. The sermons were almost decent to my way of measuring. It was the decision making aspect of ministry that caused the problems. Now, don't think any of this makes me feel proud. Some ministers or leaders seem to thrive on rubbing others the wrong way. I'd rather have ministry flow smoothly without the speed bumps.

Our spiritual life is filled with times of decision making that are painful at best. Jesus told us that we might even have to choose Him over family. One could ask if that is even a decision at all if He is our priority. We may not ever need to make that choice in a dramatic fashion. We do make similar choices on a daily basis. Sometimes those decisions upset others even when we truly believe we are following God's will. Reflect on the real life stories in the Bible when men and women followed that will even when it wasn't applauded. One of our needs to be spiritually healthy is the courage to follow God even when others may not agree. I'm not saying we set out to intentionally anger people. I'm saying we need to be ready when or if that occurs.

How do we limit the possible negative effects on others? One thing that I am reminded of is we can communicate clearly about the choice. This is no guarantee people will understand but it at least informs them. We can discuss the particulars of a decision as testimony of what God is doing in life. One reason others may be upset with us is we may not let them know what is going on in a choice. You do not have to be arrogant about your approach. Just let those who may need to hear it the most of why you are taking this course of action. Doing this does not make your following God a matter that is up for a vote. It may lessen some of the drama when you are being misunderstood.

My hope is to limit making people mad when decisions need to be made. Surely next Sunday will be easier on that. I cannot promise that there won't be choices down the road that will be upsetting to some. All I can really do is to discern God's mind in a matter then follow through. My idea is it is better to be in line with God by my choices than always please everyone else. He is the One that I truly do not not upset with me.

Bro. Trey