fbctatumstuff

Friday, December 10, 2010

Blogs should be about more than a record of the activity within a single day. There should be depth or substance to what is written. One should find great inspiration or food for thought while reading a post. My mind obviously does not work that way. One blog that I read on occasion is all of those things and more. You find deep insight while taking in what is said. I just know that my brain doesn't work quite as smart as others. Reflecting on the day or recent events usually gets me to thinking. Since this blog is usually just noticed by a handful of people there is less stress in terms of being academic.

Dad got to come to the rescue of his daughter today. Her car would not start when she was ready to leave school. You may not know this about me but I know less about automobiles than I do computers. My capacity for mechanic skill goes greatly downhill after putting my key in the ignition. But today was one of those occasions when the answer was very easy. Thanks to our local auto repair guys my task was aided by a portable battery charger. It wasn't until after the car started that I realized how even that small effort could go amiss. We did not need to call in a wrecker or an ambulance so it was a successful endeavor.

Fathers are supposed to have all the answers for their children. We do get the bulk of the interesting questions as they grow up. The dads who resist doing even the small things in child rearing never make sense to me. My greatest joys in life are all related to being a father. You know about our connection to baseball. I also share in the pride of a daughter who is doing so well academically. There are also the times spent with my youngest that continue to be highlights of my journey. We may make a trip tomorrow to check out any other items that could be on his Christmas list. This may be arduous but no doubt it will be yet another adventure. You get the idea by now. I probably shouldn't bore you with more details.

I decided long ago that if God allowed me to be a dad that it would be among my top priorities. This is not written in pride or any sense of self promotion. It is what it is. God knows what mistakes were made even when my intentions were true. My prayer is for Him to do even more than I can in their life. My work and even my writing may never gain much recognition. But what one can do as a dad is eternal.

Bro. Trey