fbctatumstuff

Monday, December 06, 2010

Growing up in Texas means you are raised in Dallas Cowboy country. You do not have to be a fan of football. You may not even root for them on a weekly basis. You surely may not become one of the rabid fanatics who decorate entire rooms in Cowboy regalia. But you do not get a choice in living in the midst of those who do some or all of the above. My journey began over forty years ago upon my arrival in this state. Just understand that I still do not grieve over every game nor is any room in my house dedicated to the team. Some of my interest today relates to the fact that our present school has a player on their roster. But there are still memories of the team from when I was a kid. Maybe this is one reason today was sad for me.

There are a few images in my mind from the 1968 Cowboy season. I know that the last game of the season carries some recognition. What I did not know back then was how this would be Don Meredith's last game in the NFL. Meredith grew up not too far from my hometown. He would play at SMU and then those Dallas Cowboys. He retired at the age of 31 before what is normally the prime years for a quarterback. Eventually his career would take him into broadcasting. He would be one of the first celebrity announcers before such became prominent in our world. You may know all of this already. You may also know that his skills as a player were greatly underrated in his time. His breed of gunslinging quarterback skills don't exist much today. Meredith died last night in Santa Fe at the age of 72. He will be missed.

Allow me one short point to all of this. Life may have its rough patches but God equips us to make a difference while we have breath. I cannot tell you about whether or not Don Meredith was a believer. But what I can tell you is if people can affect others in a positive way then that is a good statement about life. Shouldn't we as believers find our niche in being a healthy part in the lives of others? We cannot allow the lack of publicity for our efforts limit us in doing our part. Just because we may not be famous does not mean we can't be faithful. Jesus never tells us to be a celebrity but to be a channel for His presence. Don Meredith was a larger than life character. He found his talent then used it to the benefit of fans of the game. Let's be sure we find our eternal gifts and abilities to extend God's purpose in our world. Not many may take notice when our life ends but we will be sure to leave divine impressions behind.

Bro. Trey