fbctatumstuff

Sunday, December 05, 2010

There are some Sundays that just don't go according to script. This is especially true during the holiday season. Panic was a common element of these days when I was younger. Experience allows you some freedom to take it in stride. We had a terrific morning experience today. Our students along with younger kids presented their musical in "big church" today. I think it may be the best effort ever out of this age group. I knew we would have an unusual crowd with family and friends attending to see the performance. I also knew that my prepared sermon might not be one to fit in after the songs. Age does have some benefits including being flexible with changing conditions. You usually cannot deliver a full message with a gathering of kids in attendance. This is why we switched gears this morning.

Last night was out last ballgame of the season. Our football players had a great year but just didn't have enough something to win last night. The game was over in Ennis which is just south of Dallas. There is no easy way to get there. Google says that it is 140 miles or so from our town to the stadium. If that is true then it is the longest 140 miles on the planet. I left pretty fast after the game but still did not arrive home until well after midnight. My point is that there was a lot of time to listen to the radio on the return trip. I already had misgivings about my sermon before that ride. Luckily there was a moment of divine intervention while listening to Christmas music on one of the Dallas stations. A moment of clarity presented itself while listening to an old Gene Autry song. Here is how my new Sunday morning sermon came to be.

The song is fairly familiar though I am not sure of its title. What struck me were the lyrics about the presents that reached the top of wish lists of children. Now understand that this song is probably at least fifty years old if not more. My clear idea was about how much those words would change if written today. Kids often want more than dolls or simple presents. Today the mad rush carries on as we look for the latest electronic gizmo for our children. Every big item on my son's list is computerized or digital. He would really have a blank look on his face should he receive stuff like mine when younger. Our motives at Christmas may remain the same but the objects of our desire surely change over time. Whoever wrote the song that got my attention last night would be shocked at how much the gifts are very different now.

My very short sermon now revolved around John 3:16. Herein lies a gift that lasts for more than a generation of time. Just about everything you need to know about God and the Bible is contained in these timeless words. Gift giving can be a risky proposition. This is also true about God's best gift. People can reject out right or just resist taking seriously His offer. Another option is to receive His gift with simple trust. I know that it is no guarantee of a comfortable life but it does anchor our times to the heart of God. No one goes through life unloved by God. The question to us is what are we doing with that love? It may be the biggest question for all eternity.

Bro. Trey