fbctatumstuff

Monday, November 22, 2010

One can only hope that the blogging tonight goes better than yesterday. Sometimes the words just do not flow easily while typing. To be honest, nothing comes easy with typing. Not sure that I passed my high school typing class with a passing grade. Still do not have my last report cards after over thirty years. But they let me graduate so perhaps it all works out in the end. My very small talent at typing is the result of more error than trial. At least today we have computers where corrections are far more easy to do. Typewriters were my weak point when it came do doing academics. Thank goodness that there are programs now that will point out all of my mistakes as soon as they happen.

My original point was to say that there will be occasions where my opinion of my writing will be less than a passing grade. Then again, you may think the same thing when you read some of the posts. Tonight is one of those times where my mind wanders in several different directions. For example, today is an anniversary of the passing of my beloved grandmother. My count says it's been seventeen years since my phone rang with that news. I really need to tell whoever reads here about her story someday. She was a woman way ahead of her time. This reminds me to mention that there are often people in our churches who may not have a happy holiday season. This is one of the things I say repeatedly in my congregation prior to major holidays. Just be sensitive to people around you during these days. Your one word of encouragement can make all the difference to those who experience sadness as much as they do happiness.

It's also the time of change around the house. One of my goals this evening was to switch out clothes in the closet. The summer shirts go into another room while the winter shirts move into the main closet. Then we have my daughter already making plans for college. She went to visit her best friend tonight who is going to a different school not too far away. Life is going to be very different for me before long. My son is already getting into the Christmas spirit. He came home from our errands today with a hat that plays jingle bells. Tomorrow we will initiate the process of changing house decorations from fall to Christmas. My guess is he will at the very least get his stuff out and into his room by the time he goes to bed. Tuesday has the promise of being a very interesting day.

Change happens. We either adjust or get left in its wake. Let me return to our recent theme. My best suggestion for the young minister is to know that change happens but let it be something divine and not forced. Young ministers will far too often attempt changes without there being a sense of direction from God. Churches often pay a big price when this occurs. God will always lead you in fresh ways when you remain close to Him. He will also prepare the way in a church so the pain of change isn't so unbearable. We do not have to copy what works in other places. God will reveal methods to each church so they can fulfill the divine potential. Let's not damage congregations just for the sake of seeming like we are creative. Pray for God to do His best in each of us. That will soon become the place where eternal change begins.

Bro. Trey