fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Today was a long day. That is not a complaint by any means. It just serves as an explanation should this blog post be short. My brain doesn't always compute well when rested much less when weary. No doubt that there are some who may not think this noggin works much at all. Some days I may agree with them. This also does not mean that it was not a good day. Good but long days will always beat out even short but awful ones. Anyway, you probably are getting the point by now. So let us pick up with where we left off yesterday.

My sutures are kinda gone now. The nurse thinks they will dissolve on their own. Her thoughts are that the outside of the wound has a surgical glue along with internal stitches. Guess the point of all of that is to say life can take another step toward the new normal. I took some stuff by our local Goodwill place. One can hope that anything donated there will be put to good use. You can find some amazing stuff at Goodwill. There are other times when the stuff is far less than amazing. I did make it back to my home town for the memorial service mentioned in the last post. We will avoid the usual comments on how things change over time. One of the unique things about this visit was more on how time seems to go backward.

My high school teacher who died was given a deeply spiritual send off. His service took place in our home church where he attended for over thirty years. I took a seat towards the back of the auditorium by myself. This church is fortunate that the music minister is into his fourth decade of service there. I remember helping his family move there during my senior year in school. He and his family sang familiar songs of the faith. Then my pastor during my growing up years stood to deliver the main message. My comment to them afterward was that it felt like being back in time about thirty years. It was a good feeling for me to have at least one more time of listening to this team do ministry.

Perhaps there are better singers and preachers in our world but this was familiar even after all of these years. Just as we all have strengths and weaknesses it is also true we all have favorites. You have some bible verses that speak to you more than others. You have hymns that you gravitate to in different times. It's something that is common to us all. Nothing is wrong with familiarity as long as it doesn't stifle growth. We may write here often of being challenged to stretch our faith but this doesn't mean we lose sight of those things that comfort us. God is our present help in times of trouble. He may choose to begin guiding you with truth woven into your soul before starting to add more insight. Sometimes we need that reminder of the past so we move on into the future. Let's never turn loose of our past even when receiving new direction from God. You can do both.

Bro. Trey