fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

We are going to try to fit this blog in before my computer goes kaput again. It still amazes me how dependent we get on technology without knowing it. First it was learning how to use a computer years ago. My first awareness of one of these came while in college. I thought such machines would always remain locked away in the science department. Now you can do most of your computing right on your cell phone. Then it was becoming accustomed to having a cell phone within reach. We lived for centuries without such a thing but we could not exist in our society without one now. Cell phones were once used for calling people but now they work primarily for people to text one another. I really do wish we had a longer life span. My mind is fascinated by what technology will come up with next.

My original thought was in considering how I am trying to get a handle on ideas for sermons and such in the new year. There may be some blog posts related to this somewhere in the past but it seemed a good time for an update. This is a good week for thinking through topics that may serve as possible material. Some ministers can block out an entire year of studies as their road map. My efforts at doing that usually fail miserably. Then again, some may tell you that any of my efforts fall short. Regardless, that approach is usually beyond my reach. My childhood pastor didn't do many if any series of sermons that I recall. I do remember some of his messages but they didn't seem to follow an approach of relating several together. Most, if not all ministers today tend to use series of sermons of one sort or the other. Some of these are tied by a single topic. Some of these may be based on a single book of the Bible. I enjoy doing both types during the year.

One thing for me to do is to decide what not to do while planning sermons. This is why I keep a record of the texts and some of the topics covered in the past. Keeping this list began back in 2004 during the summer. I usually consult that list first to insure that my thoughts are not being redundant. My next move is to write down topics or books of the Bible that would be new to my current listeners. Not everything that gets jotted down makes the final cut. But it does serve the purpose to get my mind working. Another way to get direction is to reflect on the needs of the congregation. It is true that many of those needs will remain a constant. However there may be different facets of those issues that call for a fresh approach in the message. This does not mean being obvious when preaching. It is one way to relate scripture to the current conditions of the church.

So where does this leave us at the moment? One of the predominant thoughts is to use the Old Testament more as the new year unfolds. Isaiah is right now at the top of my list. Odds are good we will use that book to guide us at least through January. I am still working on an overall theme but perhaps that will come soon. Another idea for Sunday nights is to do a study on how to get more out of your Bible. This would not be exactly a verse by verse outline but it would deal with principles of interpreting scripture. This idea honestly came to me while having my port removed the other day. I overheard some of the assistants discussing biblical stuff as I laid on the table. Seems to me that my role is not just expounding the Bible but also trying to help others be comfortable with theirs.

We should return to this topic perhaps tomorrow evening. Feels like there are ideas being left out as we move along. Just do not read tonight's post and think all of the preparation is mental or academic. Listening to God's voice is essential in all of the above. He knows what needs to be said on any given Sunday long before I do. He also knows what you need to hear before you do. Both of us need to cooperate with Him for maximum benefit. My promise is to do my part. Will you do yours?

Bro. Trey