fbctatumstuff

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Let me start my saying again here that our students did a great job leading worship today.  I am almost envious of their talent.  The only reason for not being envious is obviously that scripture frowns upon such an emotion.  It very well may be that not everyone understood their language as it is contemporary.  This makes much more sense to me now at my age.  What was current for me at their age is now deeply wedded into our hymnals.  Such an action pretty much seals the fate of a song no longer being modern.  My prayers go with them this week as they attend student camp.  May their week in Ruston be fruitful for all included.  Our youth ministry is in a time of transition as we lose several seniors to college.  We may see new leaders emerge as this week progresses.  This is my great hope. 

I really didn't know many if any of the songs they sang today.  I do know the words and music spoke to my old heart.  Being young really is no option for me no matter how hard I try.  At some point the years just add up too high.  Aging is something we cannot escape unless it is a worse option.  This crossed my mind a few times last summer going through chemo.  My prayer was and still is for more aging.  It really is not all bad to get older.  One hopes you gain some insight or wisdom along the way.  Just remember that doing dumb or sinful things can still crop up as you move through life.  Wisdom means being able to apply what knowledge you gain along the way.  Some lessons are learned the hard way.  Some lessons just come through observation and learning.  My dad tends to send me things here that cannot always be made public.  I don't mind at all.  Today's email opened up to some lessons we adults learn or may need to remember.  None of them seem awful serious until you think about them awhile.  Let me give you a few.

1.  A best friend's job should be to clear your computer history should you die.

2.  How in the world do you fold a fitted sheet?

3.  I take back all the times I refused to take a nap when younger.

4.  Was learning cursive really important?

5.  Bad decisions make great stories.

6.  Sometimes I look at my watch 3 times in a row but still not know what time it is.

7.  The freezer deserves a light just like the refrigerator.

8.  I don't remember the last time I wasn't at least some kind of tired.

Think about these.  You may find more truth than you notice at first.  Being an adult means more than moving toward the last years.  It means thinking as well as learning every day.  Being a believer always includes ongoing maturity as you age.  Some people learn how to grow old.  People who are blessed never stop growing up.

Bro. Trey