fbctatumstuff

Sunday, June 19, 2011

It was a year ago tomorrow that my journey with chemo began.  At that time my emotions were in an uproar over the unknown.  The next four months would be a constant round of tests and treatment.  My hair would fall away.  My weight went up instead of down.  My life would be measured by when it was time to go to the doctor and for what reason.  No wonder that this Father's Day would be better than in 2010.  Anything had to be better than my last one.  It also helps when the church services go well.  We can thank our music leaders for that.  I am well aware of my limits in public speaking.  At least our worship time was worth the time to be here.  Tonight went good also with everyone singing and participating.  Just know how fortunate we are to have a terrific student ministry.  I can only hope we capture some vision of God's desire for us.

Yesterday was our trip to Dallas to see the musical.  It made no sense whatsoever but that was the point.  My youngest really enjoyed it all.  We did some "discovery driving" around the city.  Our adventure took us downtown along with other unique parts of town.  He loved seeing the tall buildings that are far from our area of Texas.  He sang along with some of the songs he knows.  One of the girls wasn't crazy about the show but it was four to one against her.  Now it will be time to find other outings for he and I to enjoy.  We will find some places close by to go explore.  I do know they will not cost much and they will be indoors during this summer.  He would like to go to the zoo but that's not happening until at least October at this rate.

I do hope that you are praying for rain here.  Watering my small patch of grass is increasingly futile.  But there is more to our need than the condition of my yard.  Many people in our area depend on the rain to grow hay, feed livestock or other important projects.  Summer is typically hot and dry but we are long past the norm.  Forecasters are saying we may get a shot at it this week.  Count me as one who will believe it when he sees it.  It is not that I doubt God.  I just do not trust forecasters.  My prayer for rain will continue until we get it as well as long after it arrives. 

Rain at this point would almost be a miracle.  But isn't being a follower of Jesus all about miracles?  You cannot read the gospels without an understanding that God is always active in the lives of people.  Those first disciples woke up daily not knowing what would happen but anticipating that something remarkable was possible.  We tend to roam through our journey without that sense of wonder.  We allow the miraculous to be cheapened by those who sell their tricks to the masses.  What we see Jesus doing goes light years beyond contemporary traveling miracle shows.  We tend to tolerate the routine of our life because its comfortable.  Where is that edge of your seat experience those first followers of Jesus felt?  Let's hope and pray for rain.  But also remember to look for God to be in the present tense in your world.  Don't live by what you fear the least but let God shape what you want the most.

Bro. Trey