fbctatumstuff

Sunday, January 20, 2013

This week promises to be just as hectic as the last one.  Time flies when you have fun but it sure seems to get in the way when it takes off.  That may be one reason I seemed off today.  My material was good but I just couldn't locate my fastball.  You should know that is what a baseball pitcher says after a poor outing.  I could blame it on the odd schedule of last week but that wouldn't be fair.  Preaching is much like pitching in baseball.  You feel good in the bullpen warming up but it doesn't go with you to the mound.  That happened to me years ago when playing and it happens still on some Sundays. 

By the way, don't look too close for any deep meaning in this post.  Seems like even my writing zone got lost in the warming up.  So, what do you do when a lesson or sermon seems to not be what you want?  You just have to trust that your preparation can take over during that time.  Study is not isolated from delivery.  If you learned the material then you can keep trying in confidence you are not just taking your best shot.  Some teachers or ministers begin to get louder or more melodramatic to make up for a poor outing.  It's as if we think noise will overshadow our struggles.  You also need to just admit it to yourself that things aren't going as expected.  A little humility goes a long way in handling the occasional setback.  Offering divine truth is not for the proud or arrogant.  It's not about putting on a show but allowing God to speak through you.  He is capable of doing that in your weakest moments.

Anyway, my original point is this week will also be hectic.  It's a holiday week which is great since my son will be home.  But it does take a toll on the usual routine of the week.  Then it is the week I take my daughter to the airport in Houston.  She leaves for Europe to study for about three months.  I really do not know what my reaction will be that day.  My mind thinks it is ready but my heart is still a Dad.  There is also a trip to my Cardiologist to get through.  Nothing says aging like regular trips to the doctor.  So most of my time this week will be spent trying to do things a day or two earlier than usual.  Wish me luck.

We should learn to pray for or in times like these.  Being faithful rather than frazzled is a good thing.  God longs to be involved in our times even when hectic.  He teaches us the value of quiet moments along the way.  We can be open to Him using our activity to affect another person.  Putting our times in His hands will go a long way to keeping our heart at peace in a frantic world.  Our calendar does not have to be the last word.  We can learn how to hear God or be His person no matter our plans.  Even if you do not have your best stuff in a given time you can be assured that God always will.

Bro. Trey