fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Let's go intensely personal this evening.  Not everyone enjoys reading such material but perhaps it will help someone who stumbles upon my writing.  You will remember my mentioning how many bloggers do a far better job than I when it comes to this.  Some are amazing in their explaining or debating of theology.  Others do a remarkable job when coming to grips with denominational stuff.  Most of my efforts are just local and personal on some level.  Odds are good none of it will change the world.  It may not even change anyone's mind.  It is what it is. 

Labels are our way of identifying yourself to others.  We are parents, spouses, children and so on.  Defining our world by labels tells us who and why we are.  We describe our work life by what title we may have on the job.  Some rare individuals receive great honors that serve as naming our life.  My world is partially defined as a survivor.  Twice in the last three years found me dealing with medical issues that carried to potential of being fatal.  Three years ago about this time was the start of my journey with cancer.  I survived that.  It was last Thanksgiving when life stopped due to congestive heart failure.  I survived that.  One of my hopes is those will be enough crises for a few years.  Just dealing with a single major issue is usually all we need to handle.  God decided to let me walk through the valley on two occasions.  My health is going great as far as I can tell.  That is enough for me.

You do learn things when facing such times.  At least my hope is a person who claims faith will be open to God's leading.  You probably know as I do that it's not easy to actually do.  Too many voices at the hospitals or wherever we are can crowd out the divine truth.  That doesn't even take into account your inner voice that can scream out in panic.  Some of what you discover is about God.  Some of what you learn is about yourself.  Other truth on life will filter in along the way.  Let me put down some stuff learned in the last three years.

  • Learn to have faith where you are not where you want to be. 
  • It's very ok to lean on friends and family when you are weak.
  • Trust in God but never discount the science of medicine.
  • Whatever you feel is whatever you feel. 
  • You will not be the same afterward so be sure it's due to faith not anger.
  • Appreciate every day you are given no matter how it goes.
We may add more very soon but that is plenty for the moment.  Just remember you will find your particular insight that you can share with others.  No crisis is the same for any of us and neither will be our learning.

Bro. Trey