fbctatumstuff

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Thirty years ago I went on my first date. It was a double date because one girl couldn't go out without another. Yes, I was part of a plot by another guy for him to have a date. Anyway, that night we went to see the first Rocky movie. I was speechless when the movie ended. That is a good thing since I am not the greatest conversationalist. Those of us who went to see that movie in the theater can remember all the emotions we felt. Not everyone understood the fascination with the Rocky character. Those of us who did stayed with him through countless sequels.

Tonight I went alone to see the final Rocky sequel. It is the movie that needed to be made to wrap up the story of the character. I highly recommend this movie for anyone who shared this thirty year journey with me. It has many of the tried and true moments of any Rocky movie to be sure. If you can watch the last 45 minutes without feeling that familiar rush of adrenaline then I might just refund your money. Just remember the key word is might!

Sylvester Stallone spoke recently of his renewed faith in Jesus. He incorporates that into his story on several levels. Some of those moments are humorous. Many of these elements are profound and understated. Redemption is a powerful theme. Those of us who profess that redemption in Jesus can learn something from an old boxer. Rocky knows it is a gift that is meant to be shared with others. I hope during this Christmas season we will give away this gift that our God gave to us.

Bro. Trey