fbctatumstuff

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Years ago, I put together a sermon on "How to Please the Pastor." John writes on what he is looking for from his church in his first letter. Ever wonder what would make a pastor happy? I suppose that could vary from one pastor to another. We are all wired differently in terms of what are the gifts and motivations God gives. Now I am going to assume that someone might be curious as to what moves me internally. Here is a partial list at best.

The one thing that gets my pulse racing faster that most anything is when God's people get "it." I realize that will be unique to every person. When someone begins to deepen their relationship with God it makes me happy. We cannot always be spoon fed by others. Growth means being mature enough to go one on one with God Himself. When someone begins to use the gifts given by God then I get happy. Our congregation is filled with gifted people. Some just do not know their gifts. Some know but choose not to use their gifts. A rare few take the risk to use their gifts in service to others. That is when God moves not only in the life of the gifted but also in the life of the one who receives.

A huge thing that makes me happy is when people are mature in their life to develop relationships with grace. There is not a one of us who is not touched by hurt from someone we trusted. The easy approach is to just blame others, be bitter, or become chronic complainers. Is that really the way our Lord defined relationships? He talks of forgiveness for those who hurt us. He speaks of us using words that build up not tear down. He exhibits the divine grace even when there are those around Him wanting His death. I wish we could learn to be as patient with others as He is with us.

Bro. Trey