fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

History is boring to many people but not to me. My major in college almost was in history. At least my minor was in general history. Every summer I tend to read some historical type books. Most of my reading in the past was on the leading figures of the early days of our country. It may say something about me that they are fascinating to me. This summer my reading revolves around Abraham Lincoln. It is only when you read into their life stories that they become extremely human. Last night we even watched The History Channel as they did a documentary on Lincoln's assassination. It doesn't look like I will finish reading my latest book on him before summer ends.

My daughter also bought me a book for Father's Day that is a record of President Reagan's diary during the time he was in office. This is great stuff to me. It is his personal reflections on the events of his day. He also makes his unique observations to family events or whatever may be on his mind. It is an unusual insight to one of the leading figures of the 20Th century. The book speaks volumes on his philosophy, his faith and even his private side. Again, this may not excite you but it is beyond interesting to me.

It gives me pause to wonder if I missed the chance to keep a diary of sorts. Seems like there are many things forgotten over nine years of living in one place. Some of it would probably be sorted under science fiction with some of the craziness that occurs. It might be most of it would be spiritual in nature. The scary thought is some of it might read like a horror story. The truth would surely be stranger than fictional gossip around the community.

People once wrote much more than they do now. We know so much of our history not by facts and figures but because we can read their written words. Historians can read the letters of men and women from over 200 years ago. Lincoln would write letters or speeches that are preserved in time. We learn not just who did what to who but how they truly felt. These letters or other writings offer a clear view into the hearts of these people. We moved over the years from letters, to faxes, to email, to just texting. There is not much room for depth in a cellphone text. We don't even have to use all the letters since we have text shorthand. Could it be even the cavemen drew more in depth than we text?

Again, there is no real deep message to this. Mostly it is just my lamenting the end of the age where people shared themselves. This blog will have to serve as my record of thoughts and opinions. We will try not to slip into text language. Then again, I don't know all the rules in writing that way. It's enough for me to just try and get the English correct.

Bro. Trey