fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ten years sure can fly by before you know it. It's hard to believe that the first of October will mark the end of a decade of ministry here. Year eleven will officially get underway. Seems difficult to believe that we are still here after all this time. I remember vividly the moving day when the truck unloaded stuff here. No doubt it was the longest move that I ever made. New Mexico is a very long way from East Texas. Some things were hard to give up in the move. Summer in New Mexico is great. We lived up high enough so we didn't need air conditioning even on the warmest day. I could drive to Santa Fe in about an hour. My daughter and I took several trips up to the top of Sandia Peak. In the end, it was good to come home to my corner of the world.

A lot happened in these ten years. Some of the events will just have to remain confidential for various reasons. Times here went back and forth between bad and worse on occasion. I will admit to being responsible for my share in that. I didn't know the amount of issues to be handled upon my arrival. I didn't know the personalities involved. One of my main feelings from those early days is one of regret. So much was blowing in the wind that it was difficult for me to keep it all straight. Troubles like these weigh heavy on a congregation. I do think that my best effort was given. Sadly it did not take long for all of the juggling to wear me down.

The congregation here today is vastly different than the one that existed ten years ago. I am grateful for the people who now are part of our church. This does not mean that my heart has any joy over those who are gone. Conflict cost us mare than a few people. Some of those struggles were internal as much as relational. My prayer is that those issues are a thing of the past for any involved. We continue to add some wonderful people to our roll. God is gracious to us despite our shortcomings. Our last few months are beyond any expectation. These are the best times since my arrival in 2000.

I know fully well that there is no way to predict the future. You can hope or pray for God's best as the days roll by. Maybe all of the struggles of the past decade are giving way to times of renewal. This outcome rests on our dependence in God. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from my time here. But you cannot always look backward while longing to go forward. This anniversary will be here in just a few weeks. Year eleven has promise of it being the best one ever. I want that not just for me but for those who share the journey with me. Let's pray that will be exactly what takes place in the days that follow.

Bro. Trey