fbctatumstuff

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Maybe this is a good night for a short summary of where things stand between me and my disease. We began this blog long before there was any diagnosis. The last few months are primarily about my journey into illness. I haven't gone back in awhile to read what was written then. Not sure if that would be a good idea at this stage of the game. It all seems like a whirlwind in some ways. There are other aspects of it that feels like an eternity. The closer the target date gets to end treatment it feels like slow motion. Now that school is underway the time passes much faster. For that I am grateful.

I was declared with no evidence of disease prior to round four of treatment. The scan showed that all the lymph nodes are clear and normal. Again, those nodes were not as greatly affected as is for some with this illness. This is a primary area for lymphoma. To be clear after only three treatments is quite remarkable. Now the question becomes how long will my condition remain this way. No one can tell you a time table on that. Things could stay this way for a short period of time or it might be many years for me in remission. Statistics on this issue can be off center due to the varied ages of those with my diagnosis. One of my questions for the doctor next week is whether or not the response to treatment can be any indicator. I have a hunch that the answer is no but we will see. What is true is that my life will include scans, tests and the like for the foreseeable future.

There are only two more rounds of chemo left. I have about ten days until the next round. My mixture of chemicals is just as volatile now as it was at the start. This is another question for me to ask next week. What is the goal of these final rounds? My best guess is for it to continue hunting down any remaining cells that are not healthy. I also wonder how different the side effects will be now if any. My body does seem to have a different response this time. Part of it is probably just the total effects of chemo in my system. Overall, I still feel good. But there does appear to be a difference the last two weeks. My approach may have to be altered some this next time to be better prepared to handle it. I do plan on having this port thing taken out as soon as possible after my last turn. It gets old having a big square thing in my chest.

I do miss my hair. Some people do mention my appearance in a positive manner these days. There is no prejudice here for people without hair. I would just like to have a choice in the matter again. I am ready to have more than three weeks of recovery time. This really isn't a hardship when you look at the big picture. God knows my life will be complete never taking another steroid. One goal of mine is to avoid going bankrupt with all of this. Is it just me or is it that medical bills can be the rudest of all? My philosophy is they get what I got when I got it. At least that is my attitude toward it.

That is my current standing in a nutshell. I am healthy but for the effects of treatment. It does look like a diet is in my future. There are a few pounds creeping up on me. My heart is still grateful to God for seeing me through so far. My gain with Him far outweighs any loss. It's not a fun lesson to learn but I am thankful to learn what I do know about it.

Bro. Trey