fbctatumstuff

Friday, October 08, 2010

Celebration is in the air. Seems like people get in better moods when there is at least a hint of fall. Locally we are partying over our high school football team that remains undefeated after tonight. Appears that we going on a long playoff run again. Celebrating for me means the end of steroids today. No sin ever tempted me as much as the desire to skip that part of the regimen. But now the chemo and the steroids are behind me so all should be uphill. Right now our building is filled with students just celebrating whatever hits them at the moment. You cannot beat the sound of kids wound up for one reason or the other. Tomorrow we hope to see our favorite baseball team celebrate one more win during the playoffs. Both my daughter and I are very excited to be making the trip. Neither one of us ever attended a playoff game before so this should be great.

One of the early things God talked to me about during diagnosis was this area of being happy when things go well. Those that know me say that my feelings remain on an even keel most of the time. They would be correct in that assessment. Much of that reserved nature is born of self discipline. I do not say this to be a good thing. In many ways it is a drawback to being fully developed as a human being. Let's be honest about it. My tendency to be withdrawn grew out of a desire to stay safe or isolated from hurt. When you add this to an already shy personality it cannot end well. Even today there was time for God to talk to me about this ability to celebrate His goodness. At least He isn't giving up on me just yet.

Now this does not mean that we should be just all bubbly at all times. You may know people that leave no room for the serious thought of life. Bill Cosby once said that if being emotional and sentimental were marks of spiritual maturity then Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart were more mature than most. Balance is yet again the key to life in all that we do. I may need the ongoing lessons to let my emotions loose. Some may need to grasp the fact that not everyone is going to feel happy constantly. It's about more than our personality when it comes to this. We learn to adjust to God's presence while we go through this journey.

It may well be that I get to celebrate my illness being gone. This disease may end up being controlled by my own body. But if that does not happen then there will still be reasons to rejoice. We cannot limit our emotions to just getting what we want. Our emotional stability is related to our connection to God. There may be days when His word is hard to grasp. Sometimes you may hear God being very pointed to you. It may be a day for repentance with tears. But when the good stuff happens you should feel free to express your feelings. You do not feel the need to share those as others may do. Just be yourself and that will be more than enough.

Bro. Trey