fbctatumstuff

Saturday, September 25, 2010

It is either very late or very early depending on your point of view. All I know is that Friday nights in the fall tend to go this way. Our local team played yet another game on the road tonight. I ended up at the same field where my last high school football game took place. Luckily for our team the game tonight went much better than mine years ago. We are now undefeated in our first four games. Each opponent is in a larger classification than ours. We have all the tools this year to go far into the playoffs. It is true that you cannot assume anything until you actually play the game but it is looking good for us. Our next few games will be at home so that is a welcome note.

You may not know but my side job is filming the football games for the coaches to use during the week. As of tonight, my record while doing this is 121-44. This is year fourteen of my so called other career. How did I become a film guy? It started back in 1995 in another town north of here. I was visiting with the head coach prior to a scrimmage when he asked if I knew how to operate a camera. My answer was that I could seeing that we used one for our daughter and her every move. I ended up shooting video for a few hours that night. He called again the following week to see if my services were available. So began this journey into this other part of my life.

In all of these years, my teams missed the playoffs only one time. That was by one point in the last game of that year. It's been my honor to shoot film of guys who played in major colleges after high school. There are two players in my past who are now in the NFL. My travels took me from Dalhart to Texarkana to Waco and all points in between. In 2005 I got to shoot three games at old Texas Stadium. Along the way I was fortunate enough to film three state championship games. We won two of them but lost the last one in overtime. This year shows promise of another long playoff run. The games still have to be played but all we can do is wait and play them.

Not sure what the point of writing this is all about. What is true is that this may be the first time for me to mention this subject. It was never my intent to end up filming games like this. But it does allow me to feel as if maybe I make some small contribution to all of the people involved. I do enjoy sports as most people will tell you. My spiritual goal in all of this is just to be around for the guys who do coach. I made some wonderful friends through the years by this connection. I also got to meet some big time college coaches which is always fun. But mostly my goal is to do what little I can to make life easier during the season. Small town coaches do not get as much support as you would imagine. In fact, people can be quite cruel to the men who do not make enough money in this profession. Mostly I just tag along for the ride whether times are good or bad. What little that I can give is outweighed by what I receive. My prayer is that God will just allow me to make some difference even if its not in a sermon.

Bro. Trey