fbctatumstuff

Sunday, October 31, 2010

November begins tomorrow. It didn't seem like we would ever reach this point of the year. The weather still is not quite into the swing of fall yet. Perhaps this is one of those years where it just never does really cool down. Halloween is now behind us. My youngest got as much out of this holiday as possible. You will just have to blame me for that. If there is any level beyond being spoiled then that is where he will be. He told me tonight that it is time to look toward Thanksgiving. My fear is he already sees that holiday as a brief stopping point on the way to Christmas. Let's hope that I can help him see it as a fun holiday all its own.

There is one amazing thing about tomorrow. It is the first of November and I will take my daughter to a baseball game. Our team is in a very big hole at the moment. Right now it will take an amazing comeback to win the World Series. But it is still rather awesome to me that our team is still playing baseball in November. We are going to have a good time tomorrow no matter what happens. Our last game that we usually attend is in August. We rarely get to any games once school begins. But our team is still playing even if we keep ending up on the losing side of the contest. We are going to celebrate tomorrow just because we can.

Life moves fast in the fall. High School football is about to begin the playoffs. Sure seems like just a few weeks ago that the season began. Our church held its fall fest this evening. We were visited by all manner of costumed individuals. It was loud. It was frantic. It was great. Those who were in charge outdid themselves in preparation. This is one of my favorite things that we do. If you cannot enjoy children having fun then all I know to do is pray for you. We may not be a large congregation but we do throw a mean party. Now we will prepare for one celebration after the other as we move into the holiday season. One of my many weak spots is the tendency to be so occupied with all that goes on that I neglect to enjoy why we celebrate. Every year begins with the determination to avoid this but it is much easier said than done. Let me declare my intention to do better this year. You can look back in two months or so to see how we did.

We will probably not be blogging tomorrow. My hope is this will be a great week for whoever stumbles across this website. This is among my most favorite times of the year. Going to a baseball game tomorrow makes it even better. It took me nearly fifty years to go to my first World Series game. My daughter is doing it in eighteen years. We are going to appreciate this outing. God offers us blessings that sometimes fall outside the usual religious ideas. A baseball game in November counts as one of those to me. Win or lose is secondary to being healthy enough to enjoy our adventure. One can only hope that the celebrating will continue through all of the holidays waiting on us.

Bro. Trey