fbctatumstuff

Monday, October 18, 2010

My mind is fairly blank tonight. If only this was something that happens on rare occasions. It is sad but true that a blank mind is not so uncommon for me. I am not sure if it is due to a lack of ideas. Sometimes it seems like there are other issues at work. You may have people in your life who seemingly want you to think about stuff that really isn't important. I realize that to the other person it may appear essential. But when you step back to really think about it you will find out they are majoring on the minors. I will admit to being out of touch at times. I still wonder how people can be so driven by the minuscule. None of the above really helps me with a blank mind. Yet we will trudge on here.

Today was the pet scan for me. Luckily the appointment was an early morning one rather than in the afternoon. My fasting for the test did not have to stretch into the afternoon. I can only guess what the scan will show. Those results will come to me next Monday. Most of my day after the procedure was devoted to the usual house stuff. The pile of laundry ended up being pretty tall this weekend. We can report success in tackling the dirty clothes. I still have a pile or two waiting for tomorrow. Sure seems like I can hear the remaining clothes laughing at me. The day ended with watching our Texas Rangers win another playoff game. If they can win two more games then we may get to see a World Series game. You would have to think the sports writers are glad to have baseball to write about since the Cowboys are imploding.

There was one odd moment today that speaks volumes to our human condition. My daughter was sending a card the old fashioned way today. It wasn't an electronic card over the computer. There was no "app" for her to use on the cell phone. This is a plain old paper card that requires a stamp. Usually it is me who needs lots of help with our current technology. My computer skills are a bit like a woodpecker. It's called pointing and pecking for the right keys. I had to help her address this card which was a very odd moment. It appears that we are reaching the point where the methods of the past are lost on a new generation. Young people today may be able to use all the gizmos that are out there but they may not know how to handle simple tasks. This is not meant to be or to sound mean. All this shows me is how things really are changing far more rapidly than we admit.

Being creative does not always mean doing something brand new. We don't always have to reinvent the wheel. What we do today really has not changed much from the past. It is the how we do things that define the differences. The teenager who is texting on their phone is still sending notes or messages much as we did through letters years ago. I still remember watching old home movies with a projector. Today we can take video even with our phones so we can post them to "You Tube." I grew up with instant cameras such as the Polaroid. Now we snap a photograph but we connect it to our computers with flash drives. Superman would be hard pressed to find a phone booth in which to change clothes. He can at least have his cell phone close while doing his errands.

Churches spend a great deal of energy aiming for creative solutions. Maybe we forget what we are doing while focusing on the how. Nothing will ever replace the basics of spiritual growth. We can put all the bells and whistles on how we do what we do but we can't lose sight of what we are about. The church needs to remain old school while finding new expressions for faith. May we not just look different by our creativity but may we be different from our commitment to God.

Bro. Trey