fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Let's start tonight by doing some housekeeping chores. We did have a great time last night at the World Series. My daughter and I were there even though our team lost. It was a blast to see all of the people, excitement and celebration in person. We even got home at a decent hour. This is one of the best things that I can ever remember doing. Our arrival time meant that I was fairly rested for my bone marrow procedure today. Today was procedure number two over the last six months. Some talk about it as an act of physical torture. It is not easy to be sure but things went very smooth. My view is that if it has to be done then there is no reason to get upset about it. Let's just hurry up and get it over with. The ladies who worked on me did a wonderful job despite the potential for pain. Time was left in the day to go vote. My daughter voted for her first time today. Some of my people won. Some of my people lost. Such is the nature of the American democracy.

If you read much of this blog then you know that history and politics matter to me. They are areas where much of my leisure reading takes place. Ours is a fascinating history when it comes to politics. Blogging is not really a new invention. You can find people writing their individual thoughts on politics all the way back to our initial revolution. People then used the printed word rather than computer addresses. Some of our founding fathers contributed to all sides of any argument while even doing it anonymously on occasion. One of the modern miracles is that our system of government survives today in spite of occasional failures. Sometimes it is the candidate or the elected official that falls short. Sometimes it is those of us who do the voting that fail to understand the candidates and issues. Yet we are still here continuing to vote after all of these years.

Personally, I do not subscribe to the straight party ticket idea. Every political party has a few people who just do not need to be in office. All that I will say is that my vote today went to people of both parties. This is not to say that mine is the only way to do this. Perhaps my habit grows from trying to understand the people along with the issues. I also do not think that any one party has all of the answers. I am again only speaking for myself. It just seems to me that part of being a citizen of this nation means to be involved and informed. It may be that voting means choosing the candidate who is the lesser of two evils. This happened to me years ago while living in Louisiana. Then again, this happens a lot in Louisiana.

We who are believers also need to remember that God is not limited by elections. He can work out His purpose even in places where freedoms are much harder to come by than they are here. This does not mean that we take those liberties for granted. This is where we absolutely must be informed and involved. We take our stands on truth for every area of life. However we tend to forget that any or every political party would want to gain our vote even if it means being a bit deceitful. Again, we should always know that God is still bigger than politics. Let us cherish and extend our freedom as we vote. But let us also trust that He can do awesome things no matter what party is in charge.

Bro. Trey