fbctatumstuff

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Can life ever return to the mundane after a miracle? That is the question that popped into my mind just a little while ago. You can imagine that at that moment I was doing the usual house stuff before closing for the night. There are always clothes to wash. I can usually find some amount of cleaning that could use my attention. One cannot ever overlook getting the coffee ready to go for in the morning. Routine is just part of our lives for better or worse. My guess is that most people on the planet follow some manner of routine no matter where they live. At some point in the next 24 hours someone in China or Africa will finish their day much as they did the one before. My theory is that we enjoy parts of our regular patterns each day. Somehow it grounds us when other parts of our world remain beyond our control. So we return to the original question. Can our life return to mundane issues following a genuine miracle of God?

You may want to think for a minute before you answer. Our first response would probably be to say there is no way the mundane could be possible after a great act of God. This is where my life is at the moment. Miracle or medicine and perhaps a combination of both allowed me to receive a healthy prognosis after treatment. For this result I am very much grateful. It may not be that I did not deserve such a result but that will not stop me from being thankful. Now my goal is to regain some sense of normalcy as the days go by. Life will not ever be the same for me but does that guarantee my avoidance of the ruts? How often do we just glide through life only to basically wake up one day to see how deep we fall into the rut? We may not be able to always do things that takes our breath away. It could be that too much excitement is as dangerous as having too little. My guess is we want to find a happy medium between both extremes.

I would like to think that my complaining about the tedious moments of life will be kept to a minimum from now on. There are times when you go through trials that you just long for any semblance of the usual. Here is an example from today. My youngest needed a haircut so we went to accomplish that chore. It's been perhaps six months since my last haircut. Odds are that it will be a few more months before my hair will need scissors. Sometimes I would just like to have a reason to go for myself. Doing my usual house stuff is far from usual for me. Sure it can get a little overwhelming but at least I can still do it. It's amazing how a big miracle can make the smaller moments of life take on new meaning.

People in scripture often experienced wonderful events by God's own hand. We can read there stories in either the Old or New Testament. You can also notice that having significant divine encounters is no promise against messing up. God acts in their world in awesome ways yet they miss out on more by letting the small stuff seem mundane. Moses will forget God's word while trying to handle a crisis on his own. Simon Peter who walked on water will be so scared that even a servant girl can drive him to denial. You and I are just as human as these people were. Do not imagine that having a miracle will somehow rescue us from the routine. We have to learn how to let God turn our routine into something more. Being mature is not merely having a great story to repeat. Healthy believers continue to let God write more to the story on a daily basis. Maybe you are one who feel as if you walked on water in a crisis past. But can you know that same presence while trudging through the familiar paths each day?

Bro. Trey