fbctatumstuff

Thursday, January 06, 2011

My excitement of today came from an unremarkable event for most people. I got a haircut. This is my first one since April, 2010. Have to say that it feels pretty much as I remember it. The last time of cutting hair took place when I took the shears to my head during chemo. At the time it seemed a better option than the shedding that was happening. My hair really wasn't too long today but it needed some work done. So I took my youngest out of school a little early so we could be the rush to the barber. We sat in chairs next to one another as the ladies worked their magic on us. He did a great job not wiggling too much during the process. He is quite the handsome fellow now.

Experts say that it takes some time for hair growth to really get back to normal. Right now it does look as if the gray to white color is winning the battle. I know that it really looked white in the mirror this afternoon. I still say that there will be happiness as long as the hair returns. Bald is definitely not a look for me. Let me confess though to enjoying the short haircut. You would need to know that my high school years are known for the very long hairstyle. I cannot begin to imagine how I kept up with all of it. There is that part of me that would let it grow out that length again but so far the temptation is being resisted.

This is one of the curious things about going through chemotherapy. It is also a very good thing to me. People tend to stop to ask me about my hair a lot. They noticed when it was shaved off during the summer. My hat was never very far from me when bald. Now people are kind enough to mention how the hair is coming back. It may not be the same color but it does draw attention. Perhaps for them it is a sign of being in remission from cancer. This is why it is a good thing to me. It serves as a reminder of God's grace in overcoming illness. It says that I am getting healthier day by day.

This leads to the obvious question of the night. What do people notice about you in terms of being spiritually healthy? There is much more to the answer than simply saying that you go to church regularly. I think there is even more to this than reciting your doctrinal beliefs. Character is what people tend to notice first. Here is where the idea of spiritual fruit comes into play. People notice when you exhibit love, joy, peace and the other marks of God's presence. Others may debate you on what you believe but they can only observe how you live. How you model the personality of Jesus leaves a lasting impact as you live. No one can do this for you. Mean spirited believers are the worst advertisement for being a Christian. Others will take into account your behavior. I have a hunch that God will as well.

Bro. Trey