fbctatumstuff

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Someone mentioned lately that many of these posts revolve around my children. I am guilty as charged. But it is also possible that there are too many references to them. Maybe we can avoid being so dependent on them as ideas. Must be like how sports can be used too often in making a point. The problem is that I enjoy being a dad. God allowed me to have two amazing kids. Much of my world does revolve around them. My plan all along was to do everything possible to be at least a decent dad. What could not be expected is how much you can learn from them for yourself.

Family is often the laboratory of living your faith. It's easy to pretend you are spiritual for an hour or so at church. Impossible is keeping up a facade of faith when at home. The ones who spend the most time with you will know just how genuine is your spiritual life. You are as close to the real you at home where acting religious is not needed. Another of my goals in fatherhood was to allow my kids to be who they are. There would be no acting more spiritual than most for them just be cause of dad's job. It is working as both are well rounded people who may still make the occasional mistake but also know how to start over.

You know that my youngest is a special needs child. His condition falls within the autism spectrum. Every day is an opportunity to learn something from him. I don't know if my mind can conceive of him being normal. Every person is different by design. His is just more pronounced than most. Being different is not something he seems to recognize. He is too busy enjoying the life God is giving him. This is a good lesson for me to remember.

We adults usually complicate our world for no good reason. Seems like we tend to lose a childlike focus in our life. Sharing is something we ask of our children but fail miserable to do ourselves. Parents scold kids for not being polite to others while we exhibit the most awful rudeness to other adults. Treating others with respect is not just something for the young. Our world could sure use a good dose of respect and graciousness. Jesus displays a heart for children on several occasions in scripture. Grown ups can be much more difficult to understand than the very young. Let's not make things harder on us than the already are. My guess is that childlike faith works for those who are young as well as those who are older.

Bro. Trey