fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Life tends to take a direction all its own from time to time.  Our plans or hopes are no defense against such moments.  Faith will affect how you respond.  If you constantly remain open to God then you will be in a better position to make it through.  The one who is casual with God in daily life will find it very difficult to move to the attitude of trust.  Life can be like Humpty Dumpty who could never be put back together again.  We will need to find our place with God in new realities.  Believe me that you never need to be a victim as you make your earthly journey.  Just do not forget that crisis is not a matter of if but when.

One of my school classmates died suddenly yesterday afternoon.  She was fifty.  I first met her in the first grade way back in the 1960's.  Several of us went all the way from that day to graduation together.  Events like this cut us to the core as we deal with our loss.  My last two days were basically spent in my "hometown" visiting with family and friends.  I was on the phone with one of my classmates when she received news of our friend's death.  My arrival in our town took just about an hour from hearing the news to making the drive.  This is no professional behavior but it is just because we all care for each other.  I didn't leave there until very late in the night yesterday.  Today was time for another trip up to see old friends.  Time was spent with a family who lost a daughter and sister.  I returned home tonight earlier than when I left yesterday.  This may make sense but my body and mind are weary so forgive me if it doesn't.

The parents of my friend invited me to participate in her memorial service on Saturday afternoon.  This is a real honor for me personally.  Now there are two projects for me to prepare.  My regular Sunday message is still very important.  God allowed me a direction for this week prior to the bad news.  But it seems to me that this memorial eulogy is maybe the most important one ever for me.  Many of my classmates and friends will be attending.  There are family members to consider.  I can only hope and pray for insight into what words need to be said.  The local Methodist minister will deliver the serious part of our remarks.  My role is to bring some personal touch to the gathering.  This challenge is humbling.  My hope is again for divine guidance.

My heart hurts over this loss.  My friends are feeling the pain of this death.  A family is facing such an unexpected turn of events that will change them forever.  I hope as we are passing through this time of travel in death's shadow that God's presence will envelope us in His grace.  Seems like this is a good thing to pray on any type of day.  It will be God who provides the means to move of from grief to gladness.

Bro. Trey