fbctatumstuff

Sunday, April 08, 2012


Getting ready for Easter is hard enough without life going off track.  Last week turned out to have more twists and turns than your average pretzel.  You normally would want it to be smooth sailing rather than stormy seas.  But you also cannot always get what you want.  I wondered at all of the reasons for the upheaval during the time but it became clear today why it happened.  God does seem to know the times of life far better than we do.  He also knows how to see us through the various ups and downs.  When we remain in touch with Him then we leave room for the discoveries along the way.  You may find God can do more during the week than you even expect on the one big day you are trying to celebrate.


Monday was the day my youngest had a bad day at school.  These do not take place as much as they once did but every so often he will surprise us.  It wasn't real bad but it was enough to call for dad to offer parental guidance.  Tuesday began with a realization that it was not Wednesday!  I have no idea why my days were confused but that is just what happened.  It was also the day my daughter drove home from college in the mass of storms in our area.  She did very well even with the weather to arrive home safe and sound.  What we did not know is everything would change two days later.  My week of getting ready for the big service was already falling behind then it would get even worse.


It was after a long day on Thursday that plans were altered yet again.  My daughter was driving home after visiting with friends when a deer thought it wise to run in front of her.  There was the inevitable collision on the highway.  So her dad made a very late night run to go rescue her in her dilemma.  Now we were even further behind with calls to make and the like.  Do not think of all of this as a complaint.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  My gratitude for her safety outweighs any need to craft a perfect service.  Being taken in different directions may not be conducive for intense study but it does keep God real in life.  Even those who have more than a few Easters under their belts can use that type of encounter to keep the heart conditioned in faith.


Maybe my message was far from polished today.  I can honestly say it was not remotely near the top of any effort over these thirty years.  My mind was probably nowhere near as focused as I would wish it to be for this Sunday.  My hope is that perhaps something was said that was both real and spiritual.  Easter was not just a theological idea for me this year.  It was something I needed through this unusual week of circumstances.  It is still something essential as a new week unfolds.  I cannot imagine being able to handle the obstacles without God's involvement.  So everything about Jesus being risen matters today.  What is even better is that He will still be risen in the days after Easter.  I do hope to avoid serious calamity this week.  But you can be sure God will be ready to make Himself known even if things go south.  That is why Easter matters all year round.


Bro. Trey