fbctatumstuff

Sunday, April 22, 2012


Tonight our church called a new student minister.  Those who are not Baptist may not fully realize what this means.  We invited a young man along with his soon to be bride to lead our student ministry.  Not many congregations do such any longer.  More than a few now approach such an effort similar to hiring a new employee.  I do understand that our world is changing in many ways but one can hope we don't lose sight of such an experience as a call.  We searched, prayed, and interviewed several over the last seven months or so.  Our vote tonight was the climax to these efforts.  My hope was to remind all of us that it was a spiritual moment and not just finding a new person for a job.  This young couple deserve more than that mindset.  We can all use some sense of recovering the unique job that is ministry.


My mind wandered some during the question and answer period this evening.  Most of my thoughts were about how old I really am now.  Was I ever really that young?  Seems like only yesterday my career was starting.  Mail was still delivered the old fashioned way.  Phones were still limited to somewhere in the house or office.  Churches still extended a call to ministers to move to a new field.  A computer was something for big organizations not contained on your cell phone.  Odds are good my outlook was as hopeful as it was tonight for this couple.  I just knew my words or efforts would change the world.  Now my ministry is older than the young man coming to join us.  Being part of the experience flooded me with all types of emotion from my own journey.  Time keeps flying by with each passing day.  Strange how that tends to happen.


Perhaps the time is here for me to map out my last twenty years or so of ministry.  I really hope to remain healthy enough to do this until then.  Cancer may have something to say in this but that is my prayer.  No one can say whether those twenty years may be here or in another setting.  That is part of the adventure of God's will.  He may choose to leave me here or send me in another direction in time.  That is something to leave up to Him.  What happens in these years depends a great deal on me.  You cannot plan for every event that may or may not occur.  All one can do is keep the heart right with God no matter the circumstances.  Hold tight to your core philosophy when it comes to church work.  Do all you can not to let the negative clutter your mind or your heart.  Remember you are not in control of your times.  But also keep in mind not to allow the times to control you.  And never forget that all you can do is all you can do.


Let's hope that God will exceed our wildest expectations as we add this new minister.  My prayer is for one divine surprise after the other.  May the best blessings of God be on all of us as we start this journey together.


Bro. Trey