fbctatumstuff

Monday, April 29, 2013

I did get my daughter home from Europe yesterday.  It was a two day adventure but worth it.  She is quickly adjusting to the time difference in reverse from her departure.  Her band of travelers are all back safe and sound.  We are also catching up with everything and everyone around here.  My job was again doing the driving along with taking care of details along the way.  Rain storms in Houston were no help the first evening but they did not interfere with the landing.  Floods were a major issue in South Houston on Saturday night but all was good on the north side of town.  All would go well as we returned home last night then proceeded to try and rest. 

Today there is a professional basketball player who announced that he is gay.  Headlines carried the news all day in various platforms.  We who follow sports were told players are about to start coming out in public.  This player is the first in our most common sports leagues to do so.  Others may be homosexual in private but he went public.  One female college basketball player declared her lesbian nature a few weeks ago.  It would not make the same waves until a man came out as gay.  My guess is we are going to see more athletes do this over the summer.  They will watch the reaction to the announcement today before doing the same.  I also will venture a guess that we will overreact to such days.

People were gay from very early in Bible history.  It didn't just pop up over the last few years.  We are told it is wrong and sinful in God's eyes.  But we also are told that being lost isn't just what you do but who you are.  People are lost by not receiving the grace or love of God in Jesus.  Our tendency is to go overboard on how others behave.  We notice habits rather than pray for hearts to be changed.  I know gay people.  Some are very lost while others do good things just as we do.  They have problems like the rest of us.  We cannot and should not isolate our faith from their life.  It is not our task to fix their being gay.  We are called to embody the gospel with its invitation to new life.  God is in the business of changing lives.  What would I do if a gay person came to church?  I'd be very ok as my view is God would be ok with it for them to hear the gospel.  Some of my gay friends grew up in churches like mine.  Some were even members when younger.  My personal prayer is to be as caring with them as Jesus was with the woman at the well.  Perhaps that is my idea alone but it's the best one I have now.

Bro. Trey