fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Last night I saw something on Sportcenter that was both inspiring and a bit frightening. Allow me to set the stage for this. Bruce Pearl is the men's basketball coach at the University of Tennessee. He appears to be a bit older than me. This is the school where the women's basketball program tends to be the dominant sport. Pat Summit is the coach of the women's team and has won all kinds of championships through the years. Last night the women's team played Duke in a battle for who will be number one. As game time approached, Bruce Pearl came down the aisle to lend his support for his fellow coach. He came in the traditional attire of the students who attend the games. Bruce Pearl was shirtless as well as painted up in orange paint all the way to his face! This drew a huge reaction from the thousands of fans in attendance. Pat Summit came over to thank him for his willingness to look a bit foolish to support his fellow coach. To say this caught my eye is an understatement. I wonder how far we are willing to go to support fellow believers in life? We too are on the same team. We also need one another. I need you. I hope that you need me. We do not need to go to extremes like Coach Pearl. We can decide to make fellowship something more than a meal of fried chicken. We can decide to make it the priority of life. Believers do not often fail because of a changed theology. They mostly fail due to feeling alone. Perhaps we can learn something from a game for the mission of life ahead of us.